New member from suburban Detroit - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New member from suburban Detroit

Hey all. I'm considering acquiring a 200, with a final decision still pending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
Well whats the other options?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SpunN Style
1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Gray 20,252 Miles (Love it!)
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunN16 View Post
Save up to move out of Detroit (=

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunN16 View Post
Older 400. Also considering Kymco 300i/200i and similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
Save up to move out of Detroit (=
Thank you, you are too kind.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Older 400. Also considering Kymco 300i/200i and similar.
To evaluate, we need to know more about your intended use. For me, personally, these days, I wouldn't even consider ANYTHING under a 400 if it were the only bike I had. My reasoning may not apply to your situation.

Quote:
Thank you, you are too kind.
Hey, I live in Pittsburgh, which is only a half-notch up on the scale as far as I am concerned. So I'm right there with ya. If we had more abandoned properties, we'd lose our half notch (:

post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Intended use: pleasant weather commute (13 miles round trip) on roads with 45mph speed limits. Occasional weekend cruises on 2-lane or 4-lane roads with up to 55mph speed limits.

No intent to ever use interstates or other limited access highways which around here have 70mph speed limits. But the madness may take me, and if so I know these are capable of 65mph, though I understand getting to 70 can take a while.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Insane Poster

For that use, I would be inclined to something light and small, the 200, 250 range.

post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you. I'm glad my expectations match the vehicle.

To my understanding, the 200 should have generally lower operating and maintenance costs than a 400, and lower acquisition cost (unless I decide to go well-used on the larger bike). Storage space is a premium, and the 200 is smaller and (I assume) more manoeuvrable when being pushed around by hand.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Turbo Poster

Generally speaking when it comes to bikes and scooters - if you buy the size that you think will just do what you want it won't be long before you're wanting 'just a little more power' - or something that will pack 2 up a bit easier. A 400cc scooter will allow you to ride wherever you wish. Including freeways. The 400cc Burgman is capable of 70mph all day long and it has light enough handling to navigate in the city just fine. Even a 650 Burgman will handle well in the city.

I've heard more guys/gals carp about not having enough speed when they made a conscious decision to buy small than I've ever heard from those that bought bigger than they needed to start with.

If you aren't interested in riding freeways (don't blame you there) then a 200cc Burgman would work well for your stated travels.

I hope that makes sense to you.
E.D. likes this.

2008 650 Executive 'Darksided' on 5/17/2013 - Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW

Givi 46L Standard Top Box
Clearview Large Shield with Vent

Avatar - 1969 Kawasaki H1 500cc triple - Yup - used to have one!

Riding MC's since 1965

Cages: 1971 Karmann Ghia - 2012 Nissan Leaf SL - 2006 Buick LaCrosse
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Thank you. I'm glad my expectations match the vehicle.
One thing to keep in mind...I rode my Honda Reflex 250 from Alaska to Mexico, all around the US, through Canada and back to Alaska. 15,000 mile trip. So a small machine is a lot more capable than people realize (:

Quote:
To my understanding, the 200 should have generally lower operating and maintenance costs than a 400
Not sure why that would be, unless there is something specific about Burgmans that would make it so.

Quote:
Storage space is a premium, and the 200 is smaller and (I assume) more manoeuvrable when being pushed around by hand.
Not sure about maneuverable...but it should be lighter, which would make it easier to move around. The turning radius is probably about the same though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.