New member from suburban Detroit - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
If you aren't interested in riding freeways (don't blame you there) then a 200cc Burgman would work well for your stated travels.
Thank you. I realize that one's initial intentions don't always align with changing circumstances, but a 400 or 650 would have to be significantly older to meet current budget constraints, and garage space is a premium. Both of these make the larger bikes a more daunting proposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
Not sure why that would be, unless there is something specific about Burgmans that would make it so.
Mileage is better on the smaller bike, and I assume some parts are more expensive on the larger bikes. As an example, dual discs on the front of the 400 compared with a single disc on the 200 indicate that front brake maintenance will be twice the price. Is this significant? Perhaps not. But when I look to justify why I'm considering the smaller bike, it's one of several on my list of self-justified reasons.
Quote:
The turning radius is probably about the same though.
Could be, but the wheelbase is several inches shorter, which should have an impact.

My car and my son's scoot are already living together in a one-car garage. We can make room for a second scoot, but we expect a tight fit. Even after playing a lot of Tetris with other stored items, too. Yet another justification for a smaller vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Mileage is better on the smaller bike
Is it material? I really don't know, just asking.

It sounds like you're not going to be doing a LOT of riding. Even if the mileage is 20% better, if you're only riding 5,000 miles/year (for example), in terms of $, that's not going to be a lot of money.

Quote:
and I assume some parts are more expensive on the larger bikes. As an example, dual discs on the front of the 400 compared with a single disc on the 200 indicate that front brake maintenance will be twice the price.
I see. Well, I suppose so. But again, if you're not riding a lot to begin with, not sure how material it would be.

Quote:
But when I look to justify why I'm considering the smaller bike, it's one of several on my list of self-justified reasons.Could be, but the wheelbase is several inches shorter, which should have an impact.
I think your greatest "justification" is probably size and weight. The bottom line is that if a 200 meets your needs, what justification is there to take on more size and weight? Yeah, sure, maybe you would "grow into it" at some point. Absolutely possible. But given your stated use case - doesn't seem real likely.

Quote:
My car and my son's scoot are already living together in a one-car garage. We can make room for a second scoot, but we expect a tight fit. Even after playing a lot of Tetris with other stored items, too. Yet another justification for a smaller vehicle.
Just ditch the car (:
mikeyMarine likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
Is it material? I really don't know, just asking.
When I say, "Self? You like the Burgmans. They've been around for years. Why not go for an older, more well-used 400 or 650 bike, which will have more power than you believe you need?" I look for justifications not to.
  • Size, weight, and manoeurverablity concerns.
  • Maintenance cost of an larger bike could be higher than a smaller one.
  • Maintenance cost of an older bike will be higher than a newer one.
  • Newer doo-dads on newer bikes.
If I open the possibilities my small budget offers me with well-used, larger bikes, then I will want to look at all the maxi touring scoots. I might decide on something other than a Burgman. A Silver Wing, or a Majesty, or Morphous, or a BV500 or something.

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:54 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Intended use: pleasant weather commute (13 miles round trip) on roads with 45mph speed limits. Occasional weekend cruises on 2-lane or 4-lane roads with up to 55mph speed limits.

No intent to ever use interstates or other limited access highways which around here have 70mph speed limits. But the madness may take me, and if so I know these are capable of 65mph, though I understand getting to 70 can take a while.
Beware mission creep!

I bought my first scooter, a Honda Elite 80, thinking it would be fun to tool-around town. Then I bought a Burgman 400 because I wanted to ride in my local mountains and do long day rides up the coast. I had to promise the wife never to ride on the freeway. Then my wife discovered she loves to tour as a pillion. Then I bought my first 650 because we love to take long weekend trips. Now, and for the past 9 years, we do 10-14 day road trips every June. (Our style - adventurous backroads during the day. high thread-count B & B's at night).

Small scoots are gateway drugs. Cut to the chase and start main-lining a 400 or 650 right now. Consider burgamanusa.com your 12-step program.
knucklehead, BurgyBill and jggimi like this.

Jeff
AN650L4 in MMFG (Gray) Givi V47, Clearview
AN400K8 in Black, Givi AirFlow
'12 Vespa LXV150 in Portofino Green for the wife

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

a Burgman rider since Aug. 28, 2005

Last edited by jeff_MDR; 02-12-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Thank you. I'm glad my expectations match the vehicle.

To my understanding, the 200 should have generally lower operating and maintenance costs than a 400, and lower acquisition cost (unless I decide to go well-used on the larger bike). Storage space is a premium, and the 200 is smaller and (I assume) more manoeuvrable when being pushed around by hand.
Not necessarily. Bigger bikes have stronger parts that cost more but last longer. For instance, larger tires spin more slowly than small tires, thus the tread lasts longer. Same for the tranny belt. Brakes are bigger, engine isn't wound out at higher speeds, etc.

My advice is to get the biggest bike you think you'll need. You may not need the additional performance right away, but you'll be glad to have it when you do need it.
gec343 and sirkitrider-2 like this.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_MDR View Post
Beware mission creep!.....
Small scoots are gateway drugs. Cut to the chase and start main-lining a 400 or 650 right now. Consider burgamanusa.com your 12-step program.

What he said.....

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
When I say, "Self? You like the Burgmans. They've been around for years. Why not go for an older, more well-used 400 or 650 bike, which will have more power than you believe you need?" I look for justifications not to.
Here's the deal. You're not buying a $100,000 motorhome here. A 250 whatever is going to be bought for, what, $2500 at most (really don't know, I am guessing)?

Even if you use it for a year and then decide you want something bigger after all, you sell it at a small "loss" and buy the something else. Even if you sold it a year later for $1000 less, you used it for a year for under $100/month. Big deal. I think it is a better option that starting out with something bigger (and put out more money for it) and then decide smaller meets your needs after all.

I rode my 250 for..uh...12 years, before "upgrading" to a bigger bike (:

Quote:
If I open the possibilities my small budget offers me with well-used, larger bikes, then I will want to look at all the maxi touring scoots. I might decide on something other than a Burgman. A Silver Wing, or a Majesty, or Morphous, or a BV500 or something.
Nothing wrong with that...as long as you end up with a TMAX (:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_MDR View Post
Beware mission creep!......Small scoots are gateway drugs. Cut to the chase and start main-lining a 400 or 650 right now. Consider burgamanusa.com your 12-step program.
Brilliant post. You made me laugh aloud. And think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post
Not necessarily. Bigger bikes have stronger parts that cost more but last longer. For instance, larger tires spin more slowly than small tires, thus the tread lasts longer. Same for the tranny belt. Brakes are bigger, engine isn't wound out at higher speeds, etc.
Thank you for pointing out this aspect of operating expense.
Quote:
My advice is to get the biggest bike you think you'll need. You may not need the additional performance right away, but you'll be glad to have it when you do need it.
Well, I've been thinking the little 200 is the biggest I need (and can fit), but everyone has been trying hard to get me to rethink this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkitrider-2 View Post
What he said.....

Sirkitrider
So I will. I plan to visit a '14 Burgman 200 in two weeks. It's unsold, at a dealership, and would be sold (and warranted) as new. But I will extend my options and I will look at older 400s (or even 650s) that are at approximately the same price. A new 200 is $5k, but I have been looking at recent model used 200s as my budget is $4K out-the-door or delivered.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
A new 200 is $5k, but I have been looking at recent model used 200s as my budget is $4K out-the-door or delivered.
Holy cow dude! If you're looking at spending THAT much, seriously consider a TMAX 500.

CycleTrader has one in Ohio being advertised for $2700.

post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Insane Poster

I'd say get a 400, it will do exactly what you want and more. More is always better in my book.
I have also seen posts in here about problems with the 200's variator wearing out early. The aluminum sheaves in the variator seem to get grooves easily, or untimely early.
The 400 have a good service life on parts. I believe the 400 is made stronger and more curable than the 200.
So again, I'd say get a 400, it will do exactly what you want and more.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.