Hello from MacProTX - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MacProTX Send a message via Skype™ to MacProTX
Hello from MacProTX

I'm Mike from Austin, Texas, and have just joined both this forum, and the community of Burgman riders. I've lusted after the Burgman 650 since it was introduced in the US in 2003, but thought I might never have one until circumstances came together last week. I now own a 2004 with 28K miles, and couldn't be more pleased.

As for me, I'm a computer professional based in Austin, working at the moment with very large databases for the State of Texas. I rode a Suzuki 380 for a year when I was 19 years old, then didn't touch motorcycles for 30 years, when I purchased a Honda Helix for primary transportation. (I did put in about 100,000 miles on high-end road bicycles, competing as a racer and acting as a coach, in my 30s and 40s. That two-wheel experience served me well when I came back to motos.)

I loved the Helix, and got 50K out of it before I let it run short of oil one day, but while it mostly went as fast as I needed or wanted, I always bemoaned the lack of anything left in hand at freeway speeds.

The Burgman has been everything that I missed in the Helix, and feels ever so much safer, rather than more dangerous.

I'll be kitting it out over the next few months as a daily driver, and a decent touring machine. On the to do list: a decent backrest (done, with a Jac Vinson conversion), taller windshield (probably Givi, but undecided), and a top box (definitely Givi, but looking for the best prices). Also looking to make some minor repairs in the Tupperware (got a couple of loose fasteners), and will need tires in a few months.

I've already learned a great deal courtesy of contributors to this forum, so let me start with a "thank you" to all of you.

So that's my "Hello to all." I appreciate this forum, and the collective experience and knowledge to be had here.

Regards,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 AM
Insane Poster

MacProTX, Welcome to BUSA from Tampa Bay Florida USA.
If you haven't already done so, please fill out your User profile in the Control Panel to tell us about your bike, location, etc.
Please add your location onto the Burgman Owners Map:
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1693807#

Also please add your location to the Burgman Travel Stops Map.
You may be able to help your fellow Burgman travelers:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...3601542971&z=7

I know some people from Austin, I know that they hold the barefoot water skiing championships there, and now I know you from there. I'm glad you are enjoying your new to you 650. I rode a 08' 400 for several years, and recently bought a 06' 650. I Love them both very much, but the 650 is really growing on me even more.
Cheers!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 02-06-2017 at 03:36 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Turbo Poster

Welcome officially to the forums and the burgy life. I think we can all understand the "lust" factor for those who ... "know". After I purchased a Honda Reflex 250cc for my son last November, that lust in me came back. I sold my first burgy back in 2008 and just had to buy another one. Now, I'm training my back to get in shape to ride again.

Kid and I took a ride out to a local lake this weekend. Our first ride and our first ride with another bike. It was short, sweet, and... great father-son time. My next purchase will be a bike intercom that way I don't have to do hand signals to him.

I too owned a Helix back in 1987. I too felt it was perfect except for that sluggish highway speed. And, it bogged down alot in the rain - water in carb I suspect due to the air intake being too low to road. Wish they would put that seat on the burgy.

Anyway, as you probably already know.. this is a great forum full of great helpful people. We all have diverse thoughts and opinions, but we all value each other and our commitment to scootering.
Welcome.
ducati14 likes this.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Turbo Poster

Welcome to the BUSA forum, MacProTX, from another 650 rider up in Dallas. You really have some good riding nearby you, given that you're located near Marble Falls and the Hill Country. If you happen to get to riding the Capital of Texas Hwy (TX 360) past the ole Pennybacker bridge, be sure to stop & take some pictures & post them here on the forum for us to see. Also, since your 650 is an '04 with 28k miles, be sure to inspect the Primary Stopper Bolt to make sure all continues to go well with your CVT.
Safe ridin'.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgyBill View Post
Also, since your 650 is an '04 with 28k miles, be sure to inspect the Primary Stopper Bolt to make sure all continues to go well with your CVT..
I thought that problem started with the 2006 models?

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
MacProTX, Welcome to BUSA from Tampa Bay Florida USA.
If you haven't already done so, please fill out your User profile in the Control Panel to tell us about your bike, location, etc.
Please add your location onto the Burgman Owners Map:
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1693807#

Also please add your location to the Burgman Travel Stops Map.
You may be able to help your fellow Burgman travelers:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...3601542971&z=7

I know some people from Austin, I know that they hold the barefoot water skiing championships there, and now I know you from there. I'm glad you are enjoying your new to you 650. I rode a 08' 400 for several years, and recently bought a 06' 650. I Love them both very much, but the 650 is really growing on me even more.
Cheers!
You are like a broken record (:
E.D. likes this.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:00 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Welcome. If you have not read about the 2003-2004 CVT's primary adapter, there is a fix for most of the diesel truck noise, like said above the Polish Adapter but I think is is now being made somewhere else now.

I normaly ride in all weather but My Burgman is parked today. We got 9 inches of snow in 5 hours this morning.

Snow Front.jpg

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Insane Poster

Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.
Dave_J likes this.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:45 PM

Welcome from Nebraska.

2015 Suzuki Burgman 650
2004 Honda Reflex 250 (sold)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:22 PM
Turbo Poster

Welcome from beautiful Colorado. I grew up in Texas...miss family but, not the humidity. Anyway, you're gonna have to make a trip up this way sometime. You know you wanna...

Darksided AN400 in Lightning Fast White •*GIVI Airflow •Side deflectors • Bestem 929 top case • 19g Dr Pulley Slider Weights • Puppies • Backrest, tunnel bag and top case mods by self

'08 650 • Clearview with vent • Kuryakyn grips • GIVI V46 top case and E21 side cases • McCruise cruise control

Better to have scooted and got lost, than to never have scooted at all.

TRAVEL STOP
Add your Travel Stops, Road/Route Comments and, Recommended Places to the Travel Stops map!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.