Soon to be burgman owner - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Soon to be burgman owner

Hello everyone I just want to say hello I'm Bob from Silicon Valley and I am looking for a Burgman 650 executive as my first scooter any input new owners can give me would be appreciated I'm looking for a new or used Burgman I don't know what I should be looking for when I make the purchase thanks for your support happy twist and go
captainfish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Insane Poster

Is this your first bike ever? How much experience do you have? What size bikes have you ridden? A little more info please.

The 650 is a bit of a beast and I don't recommend it as your first ride. The 400 might be more appropriate.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

Last edited by Liamjs; 01-24-2017 at 08:39 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:50 PM
Turbo Poster

If you buy new expect the price to drop like a rock in the first 100 feet. I bought mine used in 2012 for $5000 out the door. I doubt I could sell it in this area for more than $3000 - probably less. Not that I'm looking to sell.

I bought a 2007 Majesty prior to buying the 650. When I bought the Burgman I decided that rather than own two scooters I'd sell the one that didn't get much use. It didn't take much time to make that decision. The 650 Burgman turned out to be a clear winner - in about 2 days of riding. There are no other scooters available that I would consider. These are such cool machines and a solid ride. I'm quite happy with the 650. Comfort - power - decent handling. It has it all and I can get aboard without tweaking my back out of place - couldn't do that with the Harley. I do miss it though!

2008 650 Executive 'Darksided' on 5/17/2013 - Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW

Givi 46L Standard Top Box
Clearview Large Shield with Vent

Avatar - 1969 Kawasaki H1 500cc triple - Yup - used to have one!

Riding MC's since 1965

Cages: 1971 Karmann Ghia - 2012 Nissan Leaf SL - 2006 Buick LaCrosse

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:36 PM
Insane Poster

Hi bob from silicon valley, welcome! the 650 is a great ride, looking at the forum you can see what its faults and features are, some things about calif are different than the world, so I would recommend a bike that already has calif emissions etc if you are thinking about used, and be prepared to wrestle with and cuss at the gas tank. any used bike is like a new girlfriend , ya takes ya chances, but should be a good ride. avoid someone elses "customizing" and get an owners and maintenance manual , keep it in the loo and read it! as far as price, only a general idea is available with research, this forum may have someeone close enough to you to go help scope out your purchase, if you want to pay my airfare, feed and house me and don't mind me ogling your wimmin and drinkin your beer I'd be glad to volunteer,
seriously though, a little more info would help us help you.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 AM
Insane Poster

Hey there Bob Mcgreanor!!!! I like these kinds of posts! Here's a guy that wants to get him a Burgman. Well, right away you know he's a smart guy! He must have been reading up! So thank you for being here and thanks for thinking of buying a Burgman. I can say you have come to the right place, because everyone here will be glad to help now and after you start riding it. Now the previous comments are all very worthy and helpful. Liamjs made a good point about your experience. Since you seem to want to jump directly to a 650, it seems that this may not be your first rodeo. But since we don't know you, please tell us about you background and experience. "Transportation" is not a very informative description. That could be anything from a Taxi driver, to a Truck Driver, to Tank Driver to a Pilot. I was in the Army Transportion Corps, and we drove heavy tanks through ships and planes to the front lines. Knucklehead gave some good advice, he loves his 650, as I do. MikeyMarine also made some good points. You can get owners manuals and service manuals on here for free downloads.
I have a 08' 400 that i've been riding for 3 1/2 years, and I just bought an 06' Burgman 650. The 650 is a great bike! If you are up to handling the power of the 650, I would suggest first to establish your price range, then go out and look for 650 with LOW MILEAGE. This is important because the CVT (TRANSMISSION) is prohibitively expensive to fix, so you want to buy one with LOW MILES, so that you never have to face that issue. The CVT is suppose to last somewhere around 75,000 to 85,000 miles. If you find one with about 10,000 miles or less, it would be a very good buy. If you find an older one with less than 20,000 miles, it could be a good deal if you get it for a good low price. Then be sure to service it with Full Synthetic Motorcycle oil in the engine and the transmission, and also use Full Synthetic Gear Lube in the Final Drive.
You can look for the Burgmans in the Craigslist ads, Cycle Magazines, Newspapers, MC Dealers in the area, and anywhere else you can find them. So good luck in your search, don't buy the first one you see, check them out good. Remember the 650 Exec has the electric folding mirrors and the electric windscreen that raises up and down, the 650 Standard does not. Both are good. It just depends on what you like.
I've never been to California, it's my hope and dream to go there some day. It's definitely on my bucket list, after Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.
Cheers from Sunny Tampa Bay Florida!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 01-25-2017 at 12:32 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:21 AM

Surprised that someone hasn't mention using Sccoterfinds. google it as it's a website that searches for all internet sales of all types of scooters. You can adjust it to just look for a specific brand, engine and location if you wish. Check each day for 2 weeks and you'll be a pro (or perhaps just better equipped) at understanding the real market for all types of scooters. good luck. Take a new motorcycle rider course too if you've never been on a cycle or scooter before.

hbr1 09 Burgman 650 in white
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Super Poster

As silverbullet05 so eloquently said; What is it?? Its a "Serious motorcycle in disguise!"
The B650 is not a "scooter" or a "moped" and certainly not a beginner bike. It's a serious piece of butt haulin machinery in need of serious respect.
Spike out
captainfish and bearone like this.

Common sense, the least common of the senses.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:24 AM

Some thoughts from San Diego County. We live in California and that means we ride on freeways. A lot. The 650 is simply the best option for keeping up and moving in freeway traffic. It is a solid ride that will serve you well on a commute or just to get you to the fun stuff. Once you are in the mountains on a two lane road the 650 handles the twisties well enough. It will surprise you being such a fun and comfortable ride.

The only thing I would change on my 07 650 is that I wish I got the executive model with the electric folding mirrors and the electric windscreen. I would really like to be able to bring the mirrors in with the push of a button when lane splitting or filtering (It's a California thing).

I hadn't ridden since I was a kid until I got a 150 Kymco scoot to carry on the back of our motor home. We used that for a few years and then traded right up to the 650 Burgman. It took a little while to get used to the big girl, but after a while it just seemed so natural to ride. I ride it almost every day, sometimes just down to the market, sometimes along the coast and sometimes up to the mountains for a real ride. It is also a great long range cruiser.

Get the newest, nicest one you can afford and go have fun!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:36 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandspike View Post
The B650 is not a "scooter" or a "moped" and certainly not a beginner bike. It's a serious piece of butt haulin machinery in need of serious respect.
What Spike said.

And welcome to forum. And, you will learn greatly once you buy a burgy. And it will be a huge enjoyment experience. If you haven't had much riding experience, you might want to ride a 400 first. It is much lighter and more nimble. The 650's are REALLY heavy bikes. Also, if you are a small to medium person, you need to check how your feet reach the ground. 400's have a smaller seat height than the 650's. I'm 5'-11" with a 30" inseam. The balls of my feet are the only thing to touch ground. But then too I do have a bit of a puffy inner thigh that I need to work on getting rid of.

Either way.. you will enjoy the rides.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Greetings Bob, from another Bob, who just purchased a brand new 2016 650 exec., i started on the forum the same way and got great advice/guidance. some advice led to me paying a little less OTD, which helped from the start. here, you can ask just about any question and get a wide, often amusing, range of tips and help, the site is priceless. about 15 years ago i rode Kaw 440, then 650, but this Burg is a completely different beast. i've been out twice now and getting used to the weight (i am not a heavyweight by any means, and there's no reverse gear when in a tight spot to back up, it's all legs and that takes time getting used to), the low center of gravity, and the power take some time to digest, but the feel is strong and smooth, the acceleration response is swift and surprising.
Once used to gear shifting, it took my mind/hand some forethought to remember that i had no clutch!!, it's the back brake!! but my last time out the smile
curled on my face, propped my feet forward, and got to see the world move the way i remembered it way back when, i am older and yes, smarter and more careful about what i do and don't do. the advice above about if you haven't ridden a bike before, maybe the 400 is a great place to start, but know the 650 is just what it's made out to be, local, commuting and touring, it does it all (as i shall see). all the best with whichever one you pick, you came to the right place to ask...cool runnings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.