Soon to be burgman owner - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:28 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
The 650 is heavy when stopped, not when its moving. The longer you ride it (experience), the lighter it gets. Still, it's not a beginners bike.

I've ridden in your backyard (Santa Cruz mountains) many times. AMAZING roads - Pescadero Creek, Tunitas Creek, Skyline, Alpine, Big Basin - which the 650 handles with aplomb. And to the East, Mt. Hamilton road - oh man! Be prepared to have a blast.
captainfish likes this.

Jeff
AN650L4 in MMFG (Gray) Givi V47, Clearview
AN400K8 in Black, Givi AirFlow
'12 Vespa LXV150 in Portofino Green for the wife

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

a Burgman rider since Aug. 28, 2005

Last edited by jeff_MDR; 01-26-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much you guys for those great replies... and I do apologize for taking so long to get back to you.... so here's the lowdown about me and the Burgman I know you guys are going to have a field day. Probably about 6 months ago a guy but one to the complex that I live in and I fell in love with it... I've been doing a lot of research and went and got my motorcycle license through the California Highway Patrol MSP program.. I am 58 years old and I am over 6 feet tall I would say pretty strong for my age and I looked it's a Burgman 400 and I felt that is more like a moped because of the size so I am looking to get the 650 or executive as my first bike I am not going to take it out on the freeway right away or even in the street I'm definitely going to use the parking lot to practice and get comfortable with it I know pretty much what I want and I'm looking at a 2012 Burgman executive this is been sort of a challenge for me because all my life my family has been telling me all Bobby don't get a motorcycle because you're going to kill yourself... So now they're all dead and I can do what I want... haha. Let me also might add that I have been window shopping for a purchase on the internet these Bergmann's are very hard to find in my area there only rice rockets and lanesplitters in Silicon Valley it seems like the Cruisers and the touring people are not here I just have a hard time buying something and having it shipped here without trying it or sitting on and riding it...I can't wait to hear what you guys got to say.. Happy scooting

Last edited by Bob Mcgreanor; 02-04-2017 at 04:27 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Jeff..... what is your opinion of a beginner's bike it seems like everybody has their own opinion of what a beginner bike is is it the size is it the weight is it a horsepower what is it? I just don't want to waste my money on truly something that I don't want his going to sit in the garage and collect dust I feel if I take my time with a 650 and feel comfortable with it it'll just be fine. Iam 58 years old and iam over 6 feet tall... I still have a lot of strength and I haven't lost my balance ...yet haha .....have a great day Bob!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_MDR View Post
AMAZING roads - Pescadero Creek, Tunitas Creek, Skyline, Alpine, Big Basin - which the 650 handles with aplomb. And to the East, Mt. Hamilton road - oh man! Be prepared to have a blast.
Wow! I checked out the Mt Hamilton Rd in Google Earth. What a fantastic ride! I'd like to ride that road out past Lick Observatory and disappear into the mountains! No Doubt I will have to put many California roads on my Bucket List, such good roads out of San Fransisco/Silicon Valley/San Antonio Valley area!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1979 Honda CB 750 Silver
1979 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Hey Bob - I grew up in a home where motorcycles were positively verboten and didn't get my first scooter (a Honda Elite 80) until I was 52 (12 years ago). And I was still afraid to tell my Mom! And I understand about getting the bike you really want because I quickly discovered the limitations of the Honda, and bought my first Burgman 400 only two months later. Then after my first couple of overnight trips, I realized I wanted to do some serious touring, and I picked up a used 650 - and have been fortunate enough to keep both models since then.

With practice and confidence you can pretty much ride anything. While you're building your skills, you will increase your confidence quicker with a 400 because it's more forgiving if you make a rookie mistake. You have more of a physical mastery over the bike - you can often muscle your way out of a bad outcome. The mistakes I'm talking about are no-speed/low speed errors like performing slow U-turns on an incline/decline, parking at the wrong angle, or even just padding the bike around. The outcomes are usually damage to the bike, not injury to yourself. The 650 demands your respect at all times. If you pay attention, take it easy and don't get cocky - you should be OK with a 650 out of the gate.

I spent a good amount of time on my Honda and 400, and still took the MSF course. We learned on small 250 cruiser-style bikes (I can't remember the brand) and never got out of 2nd gear. What you might want to do is rent a medium weight cruiser for a day or two to get comfortable with the bulk and practice a bit before buying the 650 - just an idea.

Good luck!!

Jeff

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
Wow! I checked out the Mt Hamilton Rd in Google Earth. What a fantastic ride! I'd like to ride that road out past Lick Observatory and disappear into the mountains! No Doubt I will have to put many California roads on my Bucket List, such good roads out of San Fransisco/Silicon Valley/San Antonio Valley area!
And then there are the spectacular roads of Marin and Sonoma counties just North of San Francisco! Heaven would be Northern California roads with SoCal weather!

Jeff

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
hi lol

SpunN Style
1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive

2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Gray 20,252 Miles (Love it!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.