SAVED - by my ABS!!! - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Garage
Default SAVED - by my ABS!!!

Yep, it's true, but I'm sure that some will disagree anyway.

On my way to work this morning. It was misty and the road was damp and greasy. I was filtering (lane splitting?) at about 15-20 mph between two lanes of stationary traffic when some bloody idiot in the passenger seat of a van in the right hand lane suddenly opens his door to lean out and empty an ashtray full of dog ends (cigarette butts) underneath his van! I was practically on top of him when he did this and just grabbed a big handfull of brake. The ABS worked perfectly. I came that close to the inside of the open door I had to back up to let him shut it - after I'd given him a mouthfull of abuse of course! Probably wouldn't have hurt myself but would have done sone damage to the front of my scoot if I didn't have good ol' ABS.
1983 Puch Maxi 'pedal and pop'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46flaThC ... ata_player
Steve D UK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Poster

Default Re: SAVED - by my ABS!!!

Glad you are in one piece
Bluebottle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's good to know that you are alright and didn't sustain any damage to the bike, but it has been proven that ABS does not reduce braking distance. So even without it you would have very likely been okay, although it wouldn't have been as smooth
Old 03-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLavore
It's good to know that you are alright and didn't sustain any damage to the bike, but it has been proven that ABS does not reduce braking distance. So even without it you would have very likely been okay, although it wouldn't have been as smooth
If you're very trained.
Hagon rear shocks
SpeedoHealer for speedo healing
SpeedoHealer for healing the CVT/keeping the revs down
ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
It has been proven that ABS does not reduce braking distance. So even without it you would have very likely been okay . . .
What?
Xenon Headlights
EBC HH Brake Pads and Rotors.
TCB on all Brakes.
Metzeler (Made in Germany) FeelFree Tires.
EthanolBurgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Bike Type: FJR 1300
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D UK
Yep, it's true, but I'm sure that some will disagree anyway.

On my way to work this morning. It was misty and the road was damp and greasy. I was filtering (lane splitting?) at about 15-20 mph between two lanes of stationary traffic when some bloody idiot in the passenger seat of a van in the right hand lane suddenly opens his door to lean out and empty an ashtray full of dog ends (cigarette butts) underneath his van! I was practically on top of him when he did this and just grabbed a big handfull of brake. The ABS worked perfectly. I came that close to the inside of the open door I had to back up to let him shut it - after I'd given him a mouthfull of abuse of course! Probably wouldn't have hurt myself but would have done sone damage to the front of my scoot if I didn't have good ol' ABS.
must have been a day for it - Twice yesterday i had people change lanes in front of me ( one guy changed lanes 4 times - i guess he couldnt make his mind up) but whilst trying to avoid him i had taken my eye off the car in front of me and it had stopped - so i quickly grabbed a hand full, now i had plenty of distance but as it was wet and slippy the abs kicked in and made the stop less eventful than i think without. and as a new cyclist i dont have the extensive training others have so i probably overgrabbed !

2012 FJR 1300
2008 Burgman 400
2011 Burgman 650 (sold)
Gbjbany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDK
Quote:
If you're very trained.
Not necessarily, momentum on a motorcycle follows a linear path. It's a little bit different for a car that has two parallel points of contact that can be at different traction levels. (what tends to cause a spin).
By removing and reapplying brakes rapidly you aren't changing any factors then if you were applying brakes hard to begin with. The amount of force down on the brakepad and thus to the ground is the same, the rapid succession just keeps anything else effected by its momentum (rider) from being tossed forward as the transfer of momentum is the same but not constant like it is on non-ABS bikes.

When the brakepads on the ABS clamp down for those brief periods in rapid succession they are gripping full strength the same as you would do in a panic so that does not change, you just have more changes of momentum from front to brakes to front etc, this makes it so that the tires cannot slide any farther than the very brief point in which they are gripped each time. So basically if you were on a road slicker than snot and slammed the ABS brakes, the tires would still slide, but briefly and then return to having adequate grip to allow control. Rinse and Repeat.

Also, human reaction time going into the braking is what would have mattered the most, the 1.5 second average reaction time is what gets most people in trouble.

I supposed I could have explained that better. I am not against ABS by any means, they make panic stops a lot less intense/scary/coronary. Just saying that either way he should have been fine.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
. . . Also, human reaction time going into the braking is what would have mattered the most, the 1.5 second average reaction time is what gets most people in trouble. . . . Just saying that either way he should have been fine.
Let's see what that might look like . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4bRTZfS3g
Xenon Headlights
EBC HH Brake Pads and Rotors.
TCB on all Brakes.
Metzeler (Made in Germany) FeelFree Tires.
EthanolBurgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is why I like cars that have doors that are locked shut until the vehicle is taken out of drive... It doesn't completely remove the risk but i'd imagine it helps reduce the amount of people opening doors.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Insane Poster

One more anecdote...

I'll not rehash any of the debunking here - as the OP was an active participant in my anti-ABS rant.

Steve D, I'm glad you're okay. Truly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.