Oil Question - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Garage
Oil Question

Gosh, I hate to bring this up. The subject can be as bad as darksiding...well, almost. Nothing is that bad.

I'm out of Amsoil, and frankly, I don't trust Mobil 1 to be any different now than any of the other "full synthetic" oils that can be claimed as synthetic only in the USA because they are dino based, not a true synthetic. So, I'm looking at Shell Rotella Oil since many of you use it. However, it seems to come in only slightly less flavours than Baskin & Robbins ice cream. There is:
  • • Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic
    • Shell Rotella® T5 Synthetic Blend Technology
    • Shell Rotella® T Triple Protection
    • Shell Rotella® T3 Energized Protection™
    • Shell Rotella® T1 (we can skip this one too, because it is single grade oil)
Many of the previous posts referred to it as only "Shell Rotella T". T what? T6? T Triple Protection? T3? If you're using it, which "T" is it? And why please.

One of those Shell Rotella T oils is recommended for diesel engines. Would you use it? If so, why?

While I was perusing the shelves at Walmart, I also noticed they sell their own brand of "synthetic" oil. Would you use it? If so, why?

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2011 Honda NT700V 30000+ miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 ( AN400K8 ) 27,389 miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K7) 48,969 miles. (Gone, but not forgotten.)

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder — to — 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Insane Poster

Re: Oil Question

I have ran Rotella T6 5W 40 in all my bikes since I found it about 10-12 yrs ago.

It REALLY holds up well to heat. My XR650L is air cooled and it is not uncommon for it to run near 300. That's why Honda calls for an oil change on it every 2K. When I drain the Rotella T6 it often still looks like maple syrup.

I've seen dino oil come out of a buddie's DR (also oil/air cooled) that looked like molasses.

We didn't run it through no viscosity doohickey test, but did we need to?

He runs T6 now.

Motorcycle **** is riding a loud, heavy cruiser shoed with a car tire on the uninspiring interstate highway system. I chose something else.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Super Poster

T6 in my Burg 650 and my Honda ST1300. Check out the oil info from Mark at his website
http://www.calsci.com/

Member : Blue Knights (Ohio X) - AMA - OSUAA - NRA
05 Burgman 650 Fast Silver w/ Clearview XL, Fehling Rack, Russell Saddle (bike #40 of 49)
Wife (#1 of 1 for 30 years)

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 PM

Daboo,

I run Shell Rotella T 15W-40 in all three of my bikes. I change my oil every 2,000 miles so I figure I don't need the synthetic. I know I'm probably wasting money changing that often, but it makes ME feel better...

I think LeDude's Burgman site may be a good resource. There are some links to articles at the bottom of the page if you want to read about different types of oil for your bike. LeDude used the 15W-40 for breakin, and then he runs the 5W-40 synthetic like rustynail is recommending.

https://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgnd ... gd=1&hl=en

Hope this helps.

Dave Fuglestad
2009 Suzuki AN650 "Zuzu"
1996 Honda PC800 "UnderDog"
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Ken
Insane Poster

I use Rotella T 15W40 dino oil. Safe for wet clutches like the 650 has. Since our bikes are water cooled, I don't feel I need the synthetic oil that is beneficial in air cooled motors that reach much higher oil temps. This oil was originally developed for diesel engines and contains a higher zinc content which reduces wear. It is not supposed to be used on vehicles that have a catalytic converter. I change my oil at 4500 miles and always replace the filter. I also use the Suzuki filter. Just my $.02

Ken

Blue 2003 Burgman 650
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Insane Poster

Chris, FWIW you can order Amsoil Scooter oil online for $7.90/qt. I just ordered a case of 12 quarts about a month ago and arrive in about 3 days. IIRC, total cost was about $100. Here's where I ordered mine:
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=10

Presently-White Lightning 2009 Burgman 650 (wife's) 13,600 miles
Formerly-Blue 2007 Burgman 400 (wife's) 9980 miles-----SOLD TO BUY FATBOY
Formerly-Blue 2007 Burgman 400 (mine) 4985 miles-------SOLD TO BUY K9 650
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Insane Poster

JASO-MA rated and the proper weight are all you need to know.

Everything else is debatable.

Avatar represents 31 States Visited with Burgman covering 38,000 miles
Currently riding 2011 Victory Vision that has been in the 48 contiguous States and 3 Canadian Provinces. (69,000 miles)

Glenn Beck is the Anti-Christ
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot
JASO-MA rated and the proper weight are all you need to know.

Everything else is debatable.
yup

Motorcycle **** is riding a loud, heavy cruiser shoed with a car tire on the uninspiring interstate highway system. I chose something else.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootermikie
Chris, FWIW you can order Amsoil Scooter oil online for $7.90/qt. I just ordered a case of 12 quarts about a month ago and arrive in about 3 days. IIRC, total cost was about $100. Here's where I ordered mine:
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=10
I wonder what the difference is between ordering from them directly or through one of their local "dealers"?

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT

- 2011 Honda NT700V 30000+ miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 ( AN400K8 ) 27,389 miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K7) 48,969 miles. (Gone, but not forgotten.)

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder — to — 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Insane Poster

by far one of the best generic off the shelf oil options out there... I have been using the stuff for close to 20 years now on a
variety of bikes ...

the newly reformulated full synthetic is even better than before... do a bit of reading on line, lots of testimonials about it.

I use 15w-40 while I am breaking in a bike and then switch to their full 5w-40 synthetic...

I usually change the oil at 150, 600, 2000 and 4000 miles with the 15w-40 and then switch to a 5000 miles oil change interval with
the 5w-40.

Happy Riding . . . . .

LeDude .... . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.