Changing your own tires - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Changing your own tires

How many have done this? Last summer I put new tires on my 2004 Burgman 650. With help from Ledude's how to videos I was able to swap out the front tires myself.
But the rear tire sideway was soooo stiff I was unable to make much headway after several minutes. So, I placed the tire/wheel in the back of my Dodge truck and went to my local Yamaha dealer. The nearest Suzuki dealer is about 25 miles.

The service guy at Yamaha placed the wheel on his tire changer and had it swapped in about 5 minutes or less. Charged $25.00. I put on new Diablo's.
Well here it is next spring and I need tires again. Less than 5,000 miles and both need replacing. The back tire has turned flat in the center and the front has worn to the treadwear indicators.

Sooo, I'm putting OEM Bridgestones back on.
clava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Poster

Default Re: Changing your own tires

Hi Clava, I know you've been here a while, but welcome anyway.

The secret to removing or installing a tire is to make sure the side opposite to the side you are trying to bring over the rim stays down in the smallest part of the wheel. I know this isn't the greatest description, but if you think about it a few minutes, it makes sense. there is always a recessed area in the middle of a wheel. That's there for one reason. To give the bead of a tire (which cannot be stretched), a place to occupy while being changed to an oblong shape whilst moving on or off the rim.

Wayne

Givi screen, DPS 18gram, Yoshimura exhaust

Wayne
wa9w00d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

I tried last summer and failed. Apparently (even to the guy who eventually put it on with a machine), the tire I chose to mount was pretty tight. After about a half a day of trying I gave up and found a tire shop nearby that will do it for $10.00. I figure for $10.00 what the heck - my time is worth more than that. He's changed three for me since last fall (two bikes).
Aladinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

The front is much easier than the rear. The rear is very stiff. I've had motorcycle shops tell me that the only tires of equal difficulty to install are on a Gold Wing or BMW LT. That said, I have done mine, but it's just about not worth the hassle. I have all of the proper gear, but next time I'll let the dealer do it.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2005 Burgman 400

Mounting tires is a dirty labor of love without a machine to mount and demount them. I still use the old tire irons I got back in nineteen hundred and seventy four and even with all the experience and tips I've learned along the way it can still be a pain depending on the tire. A second person helps when the tire is being stubborn.
2.1 MP3 Stereo
Averaging 70mpg

Scootereno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2004 Burgman 650

the Burgman 650 and the Honda Goldwing have two of the hardest tires to change by hand...

I don't think the Goldwing tire can be mounted without the help of a tire mounting apparatus of some sort ...

the Burgman 650, even though extremely stiff, is doable with a bit of planning and preparation.

I was going to do a video on it but decided to hold off fearing that people may end up damaging their rims / tires.

that last 20 inches on the 2nd bead on the rear tire can be really hard to overcome.

spending $10-25 every 10-15k miles to have a new rear tire mounted/balanced is well worth the labor price and time saving and hassle.
LeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Check around at some of the local car tire shop and ask what they will charge to mount a motorcycle tire to a rim if you bring it to them off the bike. I found a small local shop that will mount the tire and spin balance it for under $10 per tire.
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
billmeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Had pretty much the same experience. Battled with the rear tire for about an hour, took to cycle shop, walked out 20 minutes later with mounted tire for 25 dollars. Haven't tried to change it myself since.
Seneker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Watched the video but I have a couple of quick questions.

1. Tire indicator (spot, etc.) - always lines up with the valve stem - correct?
2. What I'm wanting to do is simply switch out the stock valve stems with some low-profile valve stems. Is it possible (and simple) to simply deflate the tire (wheel removed), break the beed around that area, switch out the valve stems, reinflate and reinstall tire? Am I missing something here or do I have the basic idea?
3. I'm still a bit confused on the initial removal/bead break - do I apply silicone to the tire before I break the bead and then again before I reinflate?

Thanks,

Bruce

Actually, I'm too cheap to go too fast. Have you seen the price of gas lately?

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
happytech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Send a message via AIM to QuantumRift Send a message via Yahoo to QuantumRift

Dirty jobs work oh-so-much better with the proper tools...
has anybody tried or bought this tool?

http://www.google.com/#q=motorcycle+tir ... 80&bih=864

For $100 or so, you can't go wrong. At $39 a pop for tires, it could pay for itself after the third tire.

Here's a review of one:

.."Although there were cheaper brands, I found only one motorcycle tire changer that mentioned that their clamping system and bead bar were designed specifically not to mar any wheel, and hence their name, No-Mar."

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle- ... e-changer/

Of course, the No-Mar will set you back nearly a grand.

..."Cost - Savings Equation
The No-Mar "Ultimate Package II With Large Coneset and SpoonBars" motorcycle tire changer shown here costs $895.00 + $80.00 shipping. We exchanged the wheel balancer ($99.00 list), which we didn't need, for the hitch mount ($89.00 list) and saved $10.00. The shipping cost was $79.68 for a total of $964.68.

This means that the No-Mar motorcycle tire changer will pay for itself in 16 tire changes (front and rear). While that may seem like a lot, Chris has 135,000 miles on his BMW K1200LT. If the average set of tires last, say, 8,000 miles, that's 16 changes right there during the life of the bike.

And Chris has two other bikes, I have 3...so the savings adds up pretty quickly. Not to mention that the convenience factor -- we can change tires when we want to and when we need to with no waiting, and we know the job is done right. And since the nearest motorcycle shop is about 15 miles away, add some savings from driving back and forth; four trips, to go there, leave the tire and rim, then go back and pick it up in a couple of days.

No-Mar says that many groups, clubs or friends have split the cost of the changer, which can reduce the payback period dramatically. If the cost was split four ways, for example, each joint owner could theoretically pay back the investment after 4 front/rear changes..."

"If Opportunity knocks, and he's not at home, Opportunity waits."

KRISS Headlight Modulator
Kisan TailBlazer Brake Light Flasher 20W-D - Plug-In
Manic Salamander Bar End Weights (with throttle lock)
Grip Puppies
3Brothers Backrest
QuantumRift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.