Burgman 400 trike kit - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Burgman 400 trike kit

Dansontrikes.com has pictures of his new kit for the burgman400 on his web site for those who are interested. Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Insane Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gunnphiter
Re: Burgman 400 trike kit

That's not a trike, (it's pretty) it's training wheels.

Dead bikes leave no trails!
An400K5 Sold to Brotherinlaw
An650K6 (Pugsley) Traded in
VW Trike 1995 (The Pugggmama)
AN400K7 (Pugsley Jr.)
Third Wife- Left high and dry on the side of the road.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Turbo Poster

Cool. I'm having the Tow-Pac wheels put on my 400 right now. Suppose to be done Sunday. I would prefer Danson, but just didn't want to wait, and didn't have the extra $1000. They sure look good though.
db

David Berry
2012 Grey 650 Exec
Richland Roadster trike kit
Nelson Rigg CL-850 saddlebags
Airhawk medium cruiser

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Turbo Poster

gunfighter, why do you feel you have to ridicule someones set of wheels which looks like a trike, or could be called stabilizers or anything other than you famous 'training wheels' jargon?? Does it make you feel superior because you can ride a scooter without such a device? What is wrong with calling it a trike? Training wheels is an obvious put down to anyone who uses them. Why don't the companies who make them call them training wheels? Probably because they know that the people using them don't need more training to use a bike without them. They need them to feel secure or at least safe. They may have a medical condition or probably because they have poor balance or they have a muscle weakness or maybe even an amputation such as I have. Now I don't need a trike kit at this point as I have good balance and coordination, however, I can envision a day where I would need one. If I get to that stage, I would rather them be called a trike kit or a stabilizer kit rather than training wheels. I bet many people who use these kits have had bikes without these kits and could out-ride you on two wheels at one point in their life. Now they can continue to enjoy riding with their trike well into their later years. I now ask you, is it a form of put down for you to call them training wheels?? Oh yeah, and the comment 'its pretty, but its not a trike', - is that meant as a further derogatory comment? I sure take it that way, as I don't see a smiley face beside your comment????

Andy
Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them. Albert Einstein
2003 650 blue Burgman
2006 400 grey Burgman with tow-pac (wife's)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adentre
gunfighter, why do you feel you have to ridicule someones set of wheels which looks like a trike, or could be called stabilizers or anything other than you famous 'training wheels' jargon?? Does it make you feel superior because you can ride a scooter without such a device? What is wrong with calling it a trike? Training wheels is an obvious put down to anyone who uses them. Why don't the companies who make them call them training wheels? Probably because they know that the people using them don't need more training to use a bike without them. They need them to feel secure or at least safe. They may have a medical condition or probably because they have poor balance or they have a muscle weakness or maybe even an amputation such as I have. Now I don't need a trike kit at this point as I have good balance and coordination, however, I can envision a day where I would need one. If I get to that stage, I would rather them be called a trike kit or a stabilizer kit rather than training wheels. I bet many people who use these kits have had bikes without these kits and could out-ride you on two wheels at one point in their life. Now they can continue to enjoy riding with their trike well into their later years. I now ask you, is it a form of put down for you to call them training wheels?? Oh yeah, and the comment 'its pretty, but its not a trike', - is that meant as a further derogatory comment? I sure take it that way, as I don't see a smiley face beside your comment????
Thanks Andy. I'm having Tow-Pac put on because I have a rare back disease that has me so bent over I seriously cannot see in front of me when I walk. Can't turn my head in either direction either. Plus my spine is extremely brittle. I can't afford to fall over even going 2 mph, so just to be safe, I'm having the TRIKE wheels put on. I just ignore remarks like that. This way I still get to ride!!!!! Heck I feel like I'm blessed. I'm on disability now and if I save my money the right way I can ride cross country taking all the time I want. In fact I'm ordering a trailer to pull a tent. I can't sleep lying down, so in the trailer with a tent, I'm taking a lounge chair so I can sleep in it. If there's a will - there's a way !!!!!
db

David Berry
2012 Grey 650 Exec
Airhawk medium cruiser
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Turbo Poster

It is great that people who wouldn't be able to manage on two wheels any more, due to injury or illness, have the option of trikes. I am 65, and am fortunate enough to not have to worry about that right now, but who knows what is in the future? Technically, though, the Danson and other "trike" kits turn a scooter into a "quad", that LOOKS like a trike, but since the original rear drive wheel remains in place, there are actually FOUR wheels on the ground. I guess, in a way that would sort of be like "training wheels", in that they stabilize the bike, but don't drive it. But it is a good way to get the "trike effect" without all the expense and trouble of replacing the rear wheel with some sort of differential drive mechanism. The important thing is that it looks great and keeps you out on the road with the rest of us, don't you think?

When circumstances seem to coincide in inexplicable ways, the Universe is reaching out to help you.
2007 Burgman 650 "Halfabusa"
2008 Subaru Forester Sport in dark gray to match Burgman 650...needs "Halfabusa"?
Previously Owned: 1978 400cc Honda Hawk and 2000 750cc Kawasaki Vulcan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbparks
Technically, though, the Danson and other "trike" kits turn a scooter into a "quad", that LOOKS like a trike, but since the original rear drive wheel remains in place, there are actually FOUR wheels on the ground.
I guess technically you're right, but I'm not that technical. To me, it's just a cheap trike. If I had an extra $30,000 I would get a new Goldwing trike. Tow-Pac is 1/10th that price, and I still get to have the "Burgman grin"
db

David Berry
2012 Grey 650 Exec
Airhawk medium cruiser
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Super Poster

didn't know the 400 had enough power to have this and still have any left for a serious load. /shrug

Florida + bikes = year round riding fun
2006 Boulevard C50 blue /grey
2000 BMW R1100RT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Insane Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gunnphiter

I have a trike. I am not condemning people who can not ride two wheeler any more.

A trike by definition is a three wheel vehicle, powered or otherwise. These so called trike kits add two extra nonpowered wheels to a vehicle. Two plus two is four. These kits make the scooter a quad. (Four )

My trike has three wheels, and can be ridden by any one with the use of two hands. I spent a lot less purchasing my trike than these rip off "TRIKE' kits.

Dead bikes leave no trails!
An400K5 Sold to Brotherinlaw
An650K6 (Pugsley) Traded in
VW Trike 1995 (The Pugggmama)
AN400K7 (Pugsley Jr.)
Third Wife- Left high and dry on the side of the road.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:49 PM

I am 78 and still riding 2 wheel however as I ride alone I could no longer pick up a 500 pound machine so I am thinking about a trike kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.