CA to NM Road Trip - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

CA to NM Road Trip

I'm planning to ride my 650 from San Diego, CA to Placitas, NM (just north of Albuquerque) sometime around the end of May.

I'd like to find out from you Arizonians and New Mexicans out there if there are any areas where I'll need to plan more carefully as to fuel stops.

I'm familiar with the roads from SD to Flagstaff, AZ and see no problems there but once on I-40 my mental map somewhat resembles Spains maps of the world in 1491 (go too far & you'll run into voids and monsters).

I drove this route in my semi-truck years back, but it had a fuel range of 1500 miles.

Thanks for your help in this.

Georg

2005 Blue 650 - Sold
2007 Red Executive - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 09:28 PM
ABQ
Super Poster

From Pheonix/Scottsdale/Mesa take 87 north to Payson. Rolling hills and pine forests provide a beautiful scenery. Then take 260 to Showlow. Then, east of Showlow take 61 to Zuni Pueblo in New Mexico. At Zuni look for the old church. After Zuni take 53 east to El Moro National Monument. Stop here and visit the Guest center and hike around. THen continue east up to Grants. Fuel up and eat. Head on in to Albuquerque. Get off on Rio Grande BLVD. Turn right for old town or turn left and cruise slowly up the road north to Alameda BLVD. Go east over to Fourth street. Turn left, go to the end, turn left through Sandia Pueblo ten miles to Bernalillo. Turn right at the sign that says to Placitas on 550. you are there. EAT AT THE RANGE!

The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing.

2005 Burgman 650
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ
From Pheonix/Scottsdale/Mesa take 87 north to Payson. Rolling hills and pine forests provide a beautiful scenery. Then take 260 to Showlow. Then, east of Showlow take 61 to Zuni Pueblo in New Mexico. At Zuni look for the old church. After Zuni take 53 east to El Moro National Monument. Stop here and visit the Guest center and hike around. THen continue east up to Grants. Fuel up and eat. Head on in to Albuquerque. Get off on Rio Grande BLVD. Turn right for old town or turn left and cruise slowly up the road north to Alameda BLVD. Go east over to Fourth street. Turn left, go to the end, turn left through Sandia Pueblo ten miles to Bernalillo. Turn right at the sign that says to Placitas on 550. you are there. EAT AT THE RANGE!
I appreciate the "scenic routing" & have been on those roads in AZ as my sister and her family live in AZ from Prescott down to Casa Grande.

However I'm going to have to make this a quick trip as illness in the family prohibits a lengthy absence from San Diego.

My primary worry is finding myself somewhere between Flagstaff & Gallup when my tank runs dry.

If I fill up in Flagstaff & head east where should I plan to refuel?

ABQ, if I have the time in NM I'd sure like to meet up with you. I've sold my '05 bike to a Placitas resident & he might need/want some local help/advice.

Georg

2005 Blue 650 - Sold

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Turbo Poster

There are several fuel stops between Flagstaff and ABQ, so you will not have a problem. I believe the distance between the two is around 150 miles so you should make it without worry.
I still believe you'll shave miles and hours if you make your route through Phoenix, then up to Payson, then take 260 to Heber, 277/377 to Holbrook, then jump on I40 there. The pine country there is beautiful and easily many fuel stops. I take that route when I must use I40 to cross the country. It saves at least an hour going up to Flagstaff and over. And since SD is southwest of Phoenix, it makes the most sense going through PHX on the way.
If your're interested, the following route will save time, minimize traffic, and provide plenty of gas stops:

Use I8 east to AZ84 (south of Maricopa), AZ84 north 12mi to AZ377. AZ377 north through Maricopa to I10. I10 west (technicly its I10W but you're traveling north at this point) to US60 East. US60 east to AZ87 (aka Country Club Ave). AZ87 north to Payson, then the route I described above. I recommend leaving in the early morning so you've crossed the deserts in southwest AZ before noon. Once you hit Phoenix, the rest of your run will be quite nice.
Oh, and bring plenty of fluids with you. Riding long distances on a MC can make you dehydrate without warning. In AZ the persperation evaps off your skin before it gets a chance to pool so you're not aware of water loss until you begin to get in trouble. If you feel dizzy at anytime or if your skin becomes cool to the touch, drink water. If you bring fluids with you and sip along the way, you'll never have a problem.

Metro Phoenix, AZ
Silver AN650AK6
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:59 PM
ABQ
Super Poster

Between Flagstaff and Albuquerque you can stop in Winslow, Holbrook, Gallup, Milan/Grants. But Let's face it...I-40 is long and boring. I cannot recommend that you take the freeway through Albuquerque. Drivers here try to kill me everyday. So, either take Coors north to Alameda or Rio Grande north to Alameda. This will bypass the madness. Take Alameda east to I-25 and head north to Placitas.

The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing.

2005 Burgman 650
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 AM
McQ
Super Poster

After you leave Holbrook there aren't many places to stop and rest before Gallup. I regularly make the trip from Winslow to Gallup (and Window Rock). I find that a stop at Navajo (just a convenience store and gas station) on the south side of the road, makes a good place for a break. It is only 116 miles from Winslow to Gallup, but it is not visually stimulating...

Fran
Winslow, AZ

Silver'05 650 Burgman, "Dawn Treader"
AMA, CMA, VROC, Zen Riders
KF7MCQ

Vegetarian by proxy...
I only ride on days that end in "y"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:31 AM

do NOT take the Apache trail from Phoenix to Lake Roosevelt. It is the most gorgeous scenery in the world, but it turns to washboard dirt, one lane and 5 mph switchbacks for the last 20 miles. The first 10 miles are paved and a good ride, but you'll have to double back.
Also...across the indian reservations, primarily the Navajo, there are **** few gas stations or towns and you are in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I passed through three snow storms there last week on the way to the Grand Canyon.

Vulcan 900
Morphous
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Thanks all for your feedback.

I checked with 5 different mapping systems and found if I wanted anything other than the SD/Phoenix/Flagstaff/Alb route planned, that the shortest route I could come up with actually cut north at Yuma and went through Prescott.

I'm looking to do this run Memorial Day weekend & I fear the traffic that might be encountered on the semi-main roads leading up the the weekend getaway areas of the mountains of AZ.

As far as "long and boring I-40", I've been a truck driver for over 30 years and 150 miles of long and boring is a walk in the park compared to 1 lane each way curving roads through unfamiliar territory.

Georg

2005 Blue 650 - Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.