it happened again - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

it happened again

as I was coming home from the gym this morning, a nice curvy road through a cow pasture, up ahead, flashing lights. when I got there , at the middle of the curve is a side road, on the side road is a pickup truck with a dent in the passenger side, just past the side road is a wrecker with a sports bike on the bed, and in the road a big round reddish spot, cops cleaning up debris and in answer to my thumbs up or down, I got a thumbs down.
Well, dying young has it's advantages I guess.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Insane Poster

It can suck...but it is not completely without its merits. I'd have saved a TON of money on taxes and student loans had I died at 13 instead of miraculously surviving.
mikeyMarine and Gerry Siemon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Turbo Poster

Sounds like another left turn in front of a bike...again.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Insane Poster

Don't know the facts here - and not trying to blame the rider. But it is a good opportunity to talk about risk mitigation and anticipation. Some scenarios:

1). Rider never saw the truck, but DID have an opportunity to see the truck (straight, flat road).

2). Rider never saw the truck, but DID NOT have an opportunity to see the truck (hill, curve, obstruction, etc.).

3). Rider saw the truck, anticipated nothing, took no risk mitigation.

4). Rider saw the truck, anticipated truck pulling out, but took no risk mitigation.

5). Rider saw truck, anticipated truck pulling out, took risk mitigation, but failed to mitigate the risk.

Which is most likely? Here is the OP's description:

Quote:
...at the middle of the curve is a side road, on the side road is a pickup truck with a dent in the passenger side...
Based on that description, it sure sounds like scenario #2. So how might rider have saved himself?

Seeing he was approaching a blind curve, he could have anticipated anything behind around the corner, especially on "nice curvy road through a cow pasture." Maybe a cow in the road, a tractor, who knows? Good move to take? Slow the **** down on blind curves. Maybe he did - and he still hit the truck. If so, he probably could have slowed down some more. Nevertheless - it is a good reminder that while it may be fun to fly through the curves - with respect to a blind curve, slowing down is never really a bad idea.

In fairness to the truck driver - on such a curve, it is entirely possible he never had an opportunity to see the biker either. Difference is, he can only sit there for so long before making his left turn or pulling out - and he is going to already be going slow when he does. In some situations, there isn't much he can do, especially compared to what someone coming up on a blind corner can do.
jeff_MDR and BurgyBill like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlaskaGuy; 05-10-2017 at 12:33 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Insane Poster

My theory is if you put yourself in harm's way often enough you'll get harmed ,..........or killed . Going through a green light at 50mph with the assumption no one is going to run the red light , going into a blind turn to fast with the assumption there is nothing there , tail gating etc. etc , will eventually catch up with you .

Speed & Stupid Kills .

TheReaper!
Dave_J, gec343, E.D. and 2 others like this.

If young men refused to fight and die , old men would be forced to settle their differences peacefully . TheReaper!

2007 650 Burgman
2008 650 Burgman sold
2006 650 Burgman sold
2005 650 Burgman
2009 T-MAX
2006 Big Ruckus
2005 Big Ruckus
2004 Honda Silverwing 600
2002 Honda Silverwing 600
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Insane Poster

Same thing almost happened to me last night, but I was lucky to not be going fast. In my town a side street (2 lane) crosses a main road (4 lane), each side street has a stop sign. There was a car on the other side (green Kia Soul, Green is my unlucky color) with left turn blinker on. I pull up no turn signal because I'm going straight across to the other side, continuing on the side street. We both wait a long time for the heavy traffic to finally clear. I have the "Right of Way", to I proceed to go straight across, BUT this JERK immediately turns left in front of me. If I wasn't expecting it and quick on my brakes, I would have got run over. Fortunately I stopped just short of the collision, I wont say what I did next. Anyway, if you have the "Right of Way" don't necessarily take it. Be ready for the unexpected. And of course when approaching an intersection, always slow down, let off the gas, and cover the brakes.

Sorry for that poor fellow. My prayers are with him. Course it's too late now.
Hammer and BurgyBill like this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper;1529945-
Speed & Stupid Kills
Its not usually the speed, it is the sudden stop that does it.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:43 AM
Super Poster

Saturday I had a city bus pull out in front of me on a service road before a stop light in an intersection. I anticipated she might pull out as I was coming up along side a column of stationary cars in the center lane. She did not disappoint me. I would have been in the right (dead right). Its just good that no one was riding my tail.
BurgyBill and Gerry Siemon like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Insane Poster

Condolences to his family and friends

Not to make a sweeping generalization, but you can watch tons of You Tube rides, via helmet cam, where the SPORT BIKE riders:

speed
weave
pass on double yellow (my personal peeve, especially when traffic is moving at the speed limit, it's called a SPEED LIMIT for a reason)

Especially speed.

Blind hill? You'd better slow down
Blind curve? Slow down

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
2008 red B400
OTHER vehicles- 1997 Saturn SL, 2002 Haro mountain bike
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Insane Poster

A watch a lot of YouTube MC videos. A lot of them get all ragey for no reason. Most of the time, it is the MC rider being an out an out ******* and WAY over-reacting. Can't help but wonder if they would act the same way if not for the camera and YouTube hits, but frankly, a lot of THOSE guys deserve to have their asses run over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.