Route Planning Software Revisited - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Route Planning Software Revisited

I haven't seen this topic in a while so I thought I would bring it up again. I just spent some time in Google's My Maps. After a little playing around, it's fairly easy to plan routes. The problem is, you can't pull them into Maps for turn-by-turn navigation. Must be some Google stoner snowflake in charge....anyway, has anyone had success with other route planning software/apps? Ideally, I would love to take the time to plan a route on my PC and load it to my phone for navigation.

2009 650 Exec
Givi windshield,
Driver backrest mod,
Grip puppies!
Bestem 929 T-Box
Kakao Throttle Lock
Living the good life in Fort Worth TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
Although not perfect, Microsoft Streets & Trips served me well for many years until they discontinued it with the 2013 version. I've spent some time with Google MyMaps and find it kind of clunky - I probably just need more practice. But I'm with you, OP. Let me plan a route on an optimized PC app and upload the results to my mobile devices.

Jeff
AN650L4 in MMFG (Gray) Givi V47, Clearview
AN400K8 in Black, Givi AirFlow
'12 Vespa LXV150 in Portofino Green for the wife

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

a Burgman rider since Aug. 28, 2005
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 11:22 AM

I have used the Honda Trip Planner and the TomTom planner to develop routes and export as a GPX file for my GPS. Both work pretty well. There is a lot said about the Garmin Base Camp but I am not smart enough or persistent enough to get it to work for me.

V-Tour

V-Tour
2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
2009 Burgman EXE 650
2008 BMW R1200 RT

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Insane Poster

Funny you should bring this up. This particular frustration has once again boiled up to the top of my "wtf? Radar" after my trip last weekend. Let it suffice to say that I do not understand why this basic and obvious use case has not been solved in a satisfactory fashion....like, in 2004 or something, let alone by 2017.

Let me state the use case:

1). Let me define the route of my choosing using any suitable tool.

2). Let me define that route without putting in extraneous points just to make navigation work.

3). Let me export that route into a well-known, standard format file.

4). Let me import that file on to a portable navigation device.

5). Let me use the device and voice guidance to FOLLOW THE EXACT ROUTE I DEFINED!!!!!

I had same issue as OP. Defined a route, brought it into Google Maps and was astonished that it shows the route but does not let you simply navigate the route. I mean, honestly, what the **** else would I want to do with an imported route? For smart guys, there sure are a lot of morons at Google.

YES, you can fake it by using point to point navigation, which is a great solution if you're a 7th grader writing an assignment for school. One would think a bunch of guys making the kind of jack that the boys at Google make could do a LOT better.

Last weekend I used a tool called Rever to make and follow routes. Great web app. Quick and easy to use. It doesn't do turn by turn navigation, so it is basically like trying to follow a paper map. We wasted a TON of time due to missed turns and backtracking because, you know, I had eyes on the road instead of the map. Almost a totally useless tool. If they just added Google-like voice guidance, I would pay $100/year for that app. As it stands now? Not paying anything.

The part I do not understand is that these apps KNOW your route. They import and you can see it just fine. They just fucking refuse to follow it, and instead do all their "recalculating" that you don't want. Again, yes, you can spend the rest of your life putting in a billion waypoints to make it follow your route. I get it. But there is just no way you should have to.

On a related note - anyone who has had any involvement in the development of Garmin's Basecamp software should be banned from ever touching a computer again, for any reason.
jeff_MDR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlaskaGuy; 05-06-2017 at 12:06 PM.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Insane Poster

Www.furkot.com is a very nice site for trip planning. Takes a bit to get the hang of if, but it works well with Garmin. It exports to a number of formats (gpx, TRP, etc) and directly to the unit should you choose.

However I've had very little luck getting phone apps to work on any imported routes. I've tried most of the free ones, with little luck. I suppose the $50 paid apps would do better, but for that much I can get a used garmin unit and keep my phone safely tucked away in my trunk.

the waypoint method is a bit clunky, but I can usually get it them to work and they allow for flexibility should detours occur. I find using the least amount of waypoints to get the unit to give the route you want to be optimal. Extra points just gum up the works. The worse however is when you want to take that side road that parallels a freeway. The units just always want you to take the freeway. (Yes I know you can "avoid" freeways, but often my routes have freeways in them)

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

Last edited by Liamjs; 05-06-2017 at 01:05 PM.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Super Poster

This subject is near and dear to my hart, as a new smart phone user & never owning a GPS, I was a big fan of old Google maps, I would print them and tape them up. For the last few years I kept a link the old version not long ago they finally killed it.

I really like using Google maps & apple maps on my smartphone to get found.

"Don't remind me of my failures I have not forgotten them" J. Browne
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike D View Post
This subject is near and dear to my hart, as a new smart phone user & never owning a GPS, I was a big fan of old Google maps, I would print them and tape them up. For the last few years I kept a link the old version not long ago they finally killed it.

I really like using Google maps & apple maps on my smartphone to get found.
RIP old google maps... Beloved by all. You really knew how to get there.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Super Poster

I use "Inroute" app and like that you can give it a start and a destination then tell it to finde the most curvy route. Works for me the last couple years.

And if you like scooter camping, "Allstays" camping app is fantastic. You can select campsites by attributes and price even free.

Common sense, the least common of the senses.
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 11:23 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandspike View Post
I use "Inroute" app and like that you can give it a start and a destination then tell it to finde the most curvy route. Works for me the last couple years.

And if you like scooter camping, "Allstays" camping app is fantastic. You can select campsites by attributes and price even free.
Pretty much ANYTHING works if you are willing to take the route it provides rather than the one you specify.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:59 AM
Insane Poster

Interesting that you guys brought this up. I was wanting to try to find something simple and easy that would work for me. I tried that Fukot last year and I couldn't figure it out, I never could get it to work. So I deleted it.
This year I tried Android GPS Navigation by Sygic, free version. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but it's better than anything else that I've used. Yes, it tries to run me onto the freeway and tells me to turn everywhere I don't want to. But if you have a general idea of where you are going, it's not problem. I just go which way I want to go and it just recalculates.
I went on a 200 mile trip north up to the Ozillo Trail up at Crystal River last weekend, and it helped a little, but I still missed a few turns. Then I sat down with it and practiced with it some and got the hang of it a little better. This weekend I went on another just under 200 mile trip east to several points in Lakeland, a city that I am not too familiar with because I rarely go there. Last time I was there was when I bought my 400 in 2013. and before that it was many years. So I used the GPS Navigation App exclusively to guide me, and it worked pretty well, I never even got lost, even though most of the time I did not even know where the blank I was! I mean it got me from one point to the other sucessfully, even though it routed me on every little back road imaginable! That place must have a thousand lakes, and it seemed like I saw every one of them, some maybe twice!. This was OK, because it's all about the "RIDE", right? I will try it again next weekend as I try navigating all of, or maybe just some points south. I will keep you apprized of the situation and how it works.
I didn't bother with any waypoints, I just went my own way and let it recalulate. Simpler that way for me...

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 05-07-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.