07 400 previous owner said rear wheel locked up - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

07 400 previous owner said rear wheel locked up

Hello everyone first post. I just pick up a 07 burgman 400 with only 3,800 miles. The guy I bought it from said 4 years ago he was riding doing about 60 mph and he states the rear wheel locked up and made him lay it down, he said when the cop picked up the bike it rolled just fine. He was too scared to even touch it so it sat for 4 years. I picked it up for $400 with a clear title and brought it home cleaned the fuel injector drained the tank and thru a battery in it and it rides like new. My worry is what mystery thing made the wheel lock up. I changed out the final drive oil and nothing seemed odd with the oil. The only thing that seemed out of place is the clutch bell looks like it got really hot. But you can tell from the pics it isn't from the outside in like slipping clutch pads but from the inside out. And yet the bearings on the cover and the clutch assembly seem fine and I don't hear any noises when I spin the wheel and it spins freely. I have ridden it a few miles with no issues but it takes the fun away wondering if it's going to lock up on me. Any advice would be huge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_181937447_1493956487264.jpg (114.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170429_183504163_1493956510900.jpg (142.8 KB, 35 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:19 AM
Insane Poster

It Sounds like a normal drive train, the Clutch Bell will get blue from heat. This comes from making slow starts and slipping the clutch a lot. It is best when taking off from a start to generally give it plenty of gas and get up to the speed you want then slack off the gas. This will save wear and heat on the clutch. It sounds to me like the rider went down because of application of too much rear brake. IDK if the previous owner was a green driver or not familiar with scooters. Sometime motorcycle riders habits get them in a bit of trouble on the scooters, because they squeeze the clutch, and WHAM, it not the clutch, but the rear brake instead. It takes a little getting used to. You changed the Final Drive oil, and it looked good, you spun the back wheel and no noise, so I would discount mechanical problems and blame the previous owners misfortune on Rider error. Make sure the tires have the proper air pressure, have tread and are not cracked or old. Be careful when driving at night, as you may only have one headlight on with low beams.
So Ride your Burg with Skill and Confidence, and have fun!
Cheers!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:38 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
It Sounds like a normal drive train, the Clutch Bell will get blue from heat. This comes from making slow starts and slipping the clutch a lot. It is best when taking off from a start to generally give it plenty of gas and get up to the speed you want then slack off the gas. This will save wear and heat on the clutch. It sounds to me like the rider went down because of application of too much rear brake. IDK if the previous owner was a green driver or not familiar with scooters. Sometime motorcycle riders habits get them in a bit of trouble on the scooters, because they squeeze the clutch, and WHAM, it not the clutch, but the rear brake instead. It takes a little getting used to. You changed the Final Drive oil, and it looked good, you spun the back wheel and no noise, so I would discount mechanical problems and blame the previous owners misfortune on Rider error. Make sure the tires have the proper air pressure, have tread and are not cracked or old. Be careful when driving at night, as you may only have one headlight on with low beams.
So Ride your Burg with Skill and Confidence, and have fun!
Cheers!
That sounds plausable to me.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Insane Poster

just for giggles after sitting for a while and a possible though not probable problem, I would have the rear wheel bearing s cleaned and regreased with the proper lube, and if you have any squeezers and twisters and whackers and shiny things , do it yourself, or at least DEMAND proof that proper type grease was used by mechanics who did the work, some people believe any type grease is good enough, it ain'nt so. and I'll bet there are more than one examples of grease fires because of it,

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Super Poster

I have witnessed two guys ride there motorcycles with there left hand over the clutch lever. So maybe that's what that guy did. I would do it when in tight situations but they did it all the time.

I rode in a car with one of them and noticed he always had his left foot on the brake pedal as well.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Davey View Post
I picked it up for $400 with a clear title
You just got the deal of the century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem was likely driver error.

2004 Burgman 400
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRV View Post
I have witnessed two guys ride there motorcycles with there left hand over the clutch lever. So maybe that's what that guy did. I would do it when in tight situations but they did it all the time.

I rode in a car with one of them and noticed he always had his left foot on the brake pedal as well.
Left foot is the shifter . . . unless it was a really old European bike

Ah! Edit. Left foot over the brake in a car. Got it.

But I'd also bet on driver error. Maybe he was used to a standard transmission motorcycle and unconsciously grabbed for the "clutch." Then when it started sliding he unconsciously held the "clutch" in.
Dave_J likes this.

Retired. Finally found something I'm qualified for.

2006 Burgman 650
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Last edited by Charlie Brown; 05-05-2017 at 07:57 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xringracing View Post
You just got the deal of the century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The PROBLEM is that he LAID IT DOWN DOING 60 MPH!........I bet that took a LOT of the value off it!!

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:29 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
just for giggles after sitting for a while and a possible though not probable problem, I would have the rear wheel bearing s cleaned and regreased with the proper lube, and if you have any squeezers and twisters and whackers and shiny things , do it yourself, or at least DEMAND proof that proper type grease was used by mechanics who did the work, some people believe any type grease is good enough, it ain'nt so. and I'll bet there are more than one examples of grease fires because of it,
mikey, there are no rear wheel bearings on the 400 Burgman.

I think the most likely explanation is the one mentioned above where the rider applied the rear brake in error. However, it's worth noting that if the engine seizes (albeit temporarily) the rear wheel can lock up. It happened to me during a ride on a Honda Silverwing 600 a few years back. The clutch doesn't always let go as quickly as you'd imagine and a short skid resulted before I coasted to a halt. I was travelling at 60 mph, but accelerating. Looking at the OP's photo of the clutch bell, it's blue colour is not heat related. It's the engineers paint from the factory. The clutch looks fine in that respect.
Dave_J and mikeyMarine like this.

2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr...

Last edited by Quantum Mechanic; 05-07-2017 at 04:34 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Insane Poster

I stand corrected and smarter, thanks, surely there is some type of lube back there ?

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.