What have I done? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

What have I done?

I replaced my battery just over a year ago.Recent months have seen me ride a load of really short journeys. Had a few difficult to starts in the mornings and charged the battery and all fine and then again and then another time. One morning short on time I jumped it from the car. No probs. Second time I stupidly started the car and let it run while connected to try and give it a boost. Noticed an odd smell and a bit of white smoke coming up through the handle bars. Seems I've cooked it with too many amps but does anyone know if I may have damaged the regulator? Battery is no leaks but assuming it's now dead so ordered new one but am worried I've done some other damage? Any advice greatly appreciated. Burg is 2000 pre injection model. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Insane Poster

First off, you've cooked something. Never supposed to have the car running when jumping your scooter.
Unlikely that it is the battery. If I were a betting man, I might place a small wager on the ignition switch. Otherwise, you may be looking at the ECM. Good luck, we may be here a while.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
94K and counting.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatman128 View Post
First off, you've cooked something. Never supposed to have the car running when jumping your scooter.
Unlikely that it is the battery. If I were a betting man, I might place a small wager on the ignition switch. Otherwise, you may be looking at the ECM. Good luck, we may be here a while.
Hold my hands up on the running car whilst jumping very silly. The smell was like burning plastic/electric. As the battery doesn't seem to be holding a charge for long I suspected the RR and with this smoke? Would an ignition switch smoke like that? Bike starts fine if I jump (not running) or charge battery over night but now have that smell ever time. Typical as the weather is now nice in the UK I wanna be out. My own fault I know : (

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Insane Poster

Not sure where the RR is located. I always had the impression that it was on the side/under the seat. East enough to locate it, just follow the wire(s) up from the stator assy. RR is always a good choice for a nice persistent odor and new battery not holding a charge. As for the ignition switch being a problem, only took that because of the location of the wisps. The wisps could also be the result of melting insulation off wires.

If the scooter runs OK then I would not assume anything really terrible happened (although a new RR could be unpleasant). I've heard stories of scooters getting "wonky" after jumping incorrectly. You can check the RR pretty easily with an ohmmeter.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
94K and counting.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Insane Poster

I'm sorry for your troubles OP, but I will use this as an opportunity to extol the virtues of having one of those lithium battery based jumpstart devices. Beats jumping from a running car every time.

I like the Car Rover device. Highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4BPEOH..._GOu7ybAT705T0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlaskaGuy; 04-11-2017 at 05:28 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatman128 View Post
The wisps could also be the result of melting insulation off wires.
This is my guess also. You have smoked some wiring insulation and that's it... IF you're lucky! Go over the bike and find it.

Been there done that on a Chinese scooter. I learned my lesson. In my case I burned up wires going to the starter switch on the handle bars and the entire thing had to be replaced. So that's where I would start looking for damage. NOTE. it was not where you could see it near the switch area, it was wiring down under the handlebars and into the plastics.

After paying someone that knew the ins and outs of Chinese scooters, he was able to re-wire a new switch, clean the carb, and re-install all of the plastics. . It ended up costing me 250.00, which was cheap and NOT worth it for Chinese junk. Had it been a Burgman it would have been money well spent.

If it were me, I would remove all plastics and replace any damage that can be seen. Then install a new battery and hope for the best.

2004 Burgman 400

Last edited by xringracing; 04-11-2017 at 05:40 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Insane Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gec343
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
I'm sorry for your troubles OP, but I will use this as an opportunity to extol the virtues of having one of those lithium battery based jumpstart devices. Beats jumping from a running car every time.

I like the Car Rover device. Highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4BPEOH..._GOu7ybAT705T0
So true. I've been carrying one of those for over a year but finally used it a month ago when a young pregnant girl with a slew of kids was stranded in a parking lot with a dead battery on her Dodge. The little Lithium jumper worked like a charm.

2007 Burgman Executive (Lady Burgman) SOLD
2014 Burgman UH200 (Baby Burgman) 1000 miles
2010 Honda Gold Wing/ABS
1977 BMW R100/7 (bought new)
Whizzer Motorbike

Previous scooters: 52 Cushman, 58 Allstate Crusaire, Honda Elite 80

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xringracing View Post
This is my guess also. You have smoked some wiring insulation and that's it... IF you're lucky! Go over the bike and find it. Been there done that on a Chinese scooter. I learned my lesson. In my case I burned up wires going to the starter switch on the handle bars and the entire thing had to be replaced. So that's where I would start looking for damage. NOTE. it was not where you could see it near the switch area, it was wiring down under the handlebars and into the plastics.
If it were me, I would remove all plastics and replace any damage that can be seen. Then install a new battery and hope for the best.

Thanks all. Have ordered a replacement RR anyway (second hand on flea bay) and when taking apart the front end to get to it will have a good look for any burnt out wires. Sparky type jobs are not my favourite at all!! Appreciate the advice. Other than this have had a trouble free winter with the Burg.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Insane Poster

usually once the smoke leaks out of an electrical device, you have to push it all back in, or it won't work the same later, hopefully yours was just a leetle smoke leak and can be fixed with electrical tape which has extra smoke in it, (the black kind )
xringracing likes this.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyMarine View Post
usually once the smoke leaks out of an electrical device, you have to push it all back in, or it won't work the same later, hopefully yours was just a leetle smoke leak and can be fixed with electrical tape which has extra smoke in it, (the black kind )

I use Black tape for BLACK smoke. RED for Red smoke. Ya gots to know your smoke.

Tape.jpg
mikeyMarine and knucklehead like this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.