Riders wanted - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Riders wanted

A couple of folks have had to pull out of a road trip I'm putting together for July. We are down to six and, I would like to keep the number at eight. Departure from Grand Junction, Colorado on June 10, with return to Grand Junction on June 18. Highlights include Dinosaur National Monument, Red Lodge, Montana, Beartooth Parkway, Yellowstone National Park, going over Lake Powell on a ferry, Mesa Verde National Park, Orvis Hot Springs, Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park and Colorado National Monument. Average will be about 250 miles a day, with up to around 350 on some days and much less on others. High elevations will be involved, and curvy roads...plenty of curvy roads, and a wide range of temperatures. Riders will need to bring sleeping bags and possibly a two person tent. Accommodations will include motels, hostels, tent camping and for some, cabins (mixed with some in tents) and will average less than $50 per night per person. Even with camping, I plan right now on not doing any more camp cooking than heating coffee, with meals on the road. If you have a solid interest, please PM me ASAP. Include what you would be riding and what your riding experience is.

Thanks,
Scott Payne
captainfish and carlrf42 like this.

Darksided AN400 in Lightning Fast White •*GIVI Airflow •Side deflectors • Bestem 929 top case • 19g Dr Pulley Slider Weights • Puppies • Backrest, tunnel bag and top case mods by self

'08 650 • Clearview with vent • Kuryakyn grips • GIVI V46 top case and E21 side cases • McCruise cruise control

Better to have scooted and got lost, than to never have scooted at all.

TRAVEL STOP
Add your Travel Stops, Road/Route Comments and, Recommended Places to the Travel Stops map!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Insane Poster

To be honest, your original "ad" that was posted some time ago sounded like it was written by a drill sergeant talking to recruits (i.e. not real appealing). The follow-up isn't much friendlier.
knucklehead, BurgyBill and Charro like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
To be honest, your original "ad" that was posted some time ago sounded like it was written by a drill sergeant talking to recruits (i.e. not real appealing). The follow-up isn't much friendlier.
I recall reading that post. Basically it said "My way or the highway." I thought the highway looked pretty good at that point.
Tromper, BurgyBill and Charro like this.

2008 650 Executive 'Darksided' on 5/17/2013 - Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW

Givi 46L Standard Top Box
Clearview Large Shield with Vent

Avatar - 1969 Kawasaki H1 500cc triple - Yup - used to have one!

Riding MC's since 1965

Cages: 1971 Karmann Ghia - 2012 Nissan Leaf SL - 2006 Buick LaCrosse

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:27 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I recall reading that post. Basically it said "My way or the highway." I thought the highway looked pretty good at that point.
Yep, pretty much (Inviting riders, June 10-18, 2017).

I certainly understand wanting to make a trip the way you want to make a trip. What I didn't get is inviting a bunch of people to live under your rule for the duration of the trip. I mean.....just go make it on your own and have a good time.
BurgyBill and Charro like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlaskaGuy; 03-26-2017 at 03:36 PM.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Its 2300 miles round trip. Add to that 1100 miles for me to get to Grand Junction and 1100 to get back home, I think I have to pass. But if I were closer I join in.
captainfish, Tromper and BurgyBill like this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
Its 2300 miles round trip. Add to that 1100 miles for me to get to Grand Junction and 1100 to get back home, I think I have to pass. But if I were closer I join in.
Aren't you retired with a lot of time on your hands??

If I were in that position, I would make making a lot of long trips (:

post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Aren't you retired with a lot of time on your hands??

If I were in that position, I would make making a lot of long trips (:
Retired yes. But I also volunteer at the Valley Humanin Socity. And I also cook. Todays dinner is scratched made
Venezuelan Empanadas
BurgyBill likes this.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

Last edited by Dave_J; 03-26-2017 at 07:11 PM.
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_J View Post
Retired yes. But I also volunteer at the Valley Humanin Socity.
What, they don't give you time off? (:

Quote:
And I also cook. Todays dinner is scratched made
Venezuelan Empanadas
See, you're the kind of guy people want to take on a motorcycle trip (:
captainfish and Tromper like this.

post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Turbo Poster

Very true, Knucklehead, AG & Dave_J. I've always said that most of these group rides are of the variety "You come to me in my backyard, so I don't have to travel that far myself". Few want to ride far, but they expect the other guy to do it. And they'll mention how their neck of the woods has the best whatever (pie, twisties, mountain passes, BBQ, etc) and half the time it's no better than where you live or maybe your place has other different stuff that's just as good or better. And that's why most of us just stick to our own areas until some other place just grabs our fancy all on our own time schedule.

Last edited by BurgyBill; 03-26-2017 at 10:43 PM.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:07 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post

You know guys, I'm going to jump into Scooter-Maniac's defence here. Being a ride organizer for a group ride is not an easy task. Sort of like herding cats. Keep em happy or they spit, hiss and claw.

But a group ride also cannot be like a democracy either as someone has to stand up and make the decisions or you end up going every-which-way. The logistics become unmanageable if everyone wants to eat at different places, get gas at different times, and wants to stay at different hotels, etc. It's like buying a package holiday. The organizer puts together the route, itinerary, meal/gas stops and accommodations and you either take it or leave it. That's what makes good long distance touring with a group work.

I always find it funny when people complain, but then don't step up to the plate for any other reason than to criticize.

rant over......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.