Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Seat of Aggravation -- Georgia Seat Opinions

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  westnash 
#1 ·
Friends,
I am a new Burgman owner and have found that the stock seat is a real pain! I called Cary from Burgman Brothers and he recommended to see if anyone in my area is using an aftermarket seat for comparison.

So ... Anyone in the Atlanta, North Georgia have an aftermarket seat, and have an opinion on it?

Thanks Cary for your help and recommendations.

Thanks.

#2 ·
#3 ·
I favour BeadRIder ...
https://www.beadrider.com

use it on all my bikes - least expensive of all options.
I even used it on my Russell DayLong

moves from bike to bike easily

I even use it on my office chair.

#12 ·
#4 ·
Really is to individual taste. I've used and did not care for either beaded or gel seats. I don't think I can do better for myself short of a custom seat that an AirHawk. Three of us rode an Iron Butt 1000 (1000+ miles in 24 hours or less). They were each on Vstroms using beaded seats and I was on my Burgman 650 using an AirHawk. After 21 yours and over 1000 miles, I was fatigued but, felt my backside was good for several hundred more miles. The other two had had it and were cussing the rest of the week that we did not to the Iron Butt on the last day, as they were in a world of hurt.

Someone on Burgman International was selling one and another poster commented something like, "Yeah, they work...for me made 400 miles feel like 480".

#5 ·
I had an Airhawk for a while....somewhat useful - fiddly - it finally died a death of a thousand cuts after parting company with the seat while I was standing and introducing itself to the chain and sprocket of the KLR at speed.

Did not notice it gone for a bit and went back to retrieve the mangled carcass.

#6 ·
This looks promising:

http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks
Sweet Cheeks is a
temporary support device for Dual Sport riders wanting added comfort on the way
to the trail. A simple, yet effective design. Sweet Cheeks is a seat cover that
utilizes 2 liter soft drink bottles for added support; it widens the seat area
and supports your upper thighs. Our support system offers you needed comfort,
while folding small for easy transport. Easily replenished for the ride home.

#9 · (Edited)
Cary have bad accident in October, have been off because of operation, leg in cast, plus could not walk or work for long time obviously, suspect that he perhap in physio at this stage, plus wife pregnant not sure when due, but perhap that or new baby also taking much of his time.

Perhap good time to call in the evening.

#10 ·
Friends,
I am a new Burgman owner and have found that the stock seat is a real pain! I called Cary from Burgman Brothers and he recommended to see if anyone in my area is using an aftermarket seat for comparison.

So ... Anyone in the Atlanta, North Georgia have an aftermarket seat, and have an opinion on it?

Thanks Cary for your help and recommendations.

Thanks.
Seat fit and comfort such very personal thing, find that burgie seat on the 2013 so much better than on previous 2009 and 2004 especially. Have no problem to be seated for several hour on 2013 seat.

Hope you can find your comfort level and seat, however first recommendation would be a AirHawk medium or AirHawk R cushion.

#11 ·
Yup, you don't know what a sore butt is until you're put some miles on a dual sport bike!
what amazes me is that Sargent can turn the plank that pretends to be a seat on a KLR 650 into something I can ride for hours on.....

It looks the same as stock

whatever they do with the foam works wonders.

#14 ·

The trouble with those is the nylon lines are rather weak - the Beadriders are much more durable - my ceramic oneshows zero wear after many 10's of thousands of miles and the cords securing it to the bike still act as if new.
It is a very well constructed product. It will likely outlast all my bikes and me.

The Ultimate BeadRider Seat:

The Ultimate BeadRider (UBR) is the best beaded seat available on the market today. Several years ago, we began testing different materials as an option to our wooden beads, to improve the quality and durability of our seats. The UBR is constructed with reinforced ceramic composite beads that are designed to keep you cooler, drier and more comfortable in even the harshest conditions. During months of torture testing by some very serious riders, the UBR withstood everything we threw at it and looks and feels new to this day. The UBR seat is made to last years, whether you ride 1,000 miles a year, or 100,000 miles a year.

The Ultimate BeadRider seat comes standard with marine quality straps to attach to the saddle.
The only issue is losing the **** adjusters - ( I have one left ) but that's an easy replacement item at any outdoor store

#16 ·
The trouble with those is the nylon lines are rather weak - the Beadriders are much more durable

Yep, but its cheap enough to buy to see if I like it and if I do then I will look at the more expensive option when it dies.

If I dont like it well its only $20

Reactions: mverps
#15 ·
As I am also new to the forum and my Burgman 650 is still at the dealers I can't speak to the comfort of the Burgman seat. However as a scooter rider I used an air hawk. The problem I have with it was it was slippery. If I had to hit the brakes to hard I would have my knees smash in to the knee protector. Not much fun when you still have a long ride a head of you. After a while the original seat broke in so the ride was better. Give the Burgman seat a chance. Then you can try something else. Good luck... Always Ride Safe... Scooter 68

#17 ·
Like the good man said, this is a personal preference. Do a little research, I found a custom seat guy who shaped my seat, re-foamed, added a gel insert and recovered it for $225. Best money I've spent on the scoot so far. I usually only do a couple hundred miles on the weekends, but I'd wouldn't hesitate to take it longer.

#18 ·
Yeah, did that myself without the gel.
My seat guy said in his experience it isnt all its made out to be and here its pretty expensive.
My seat is great for the first hour, pretty good for the next but then it starts to feel bad for after that, so it'd be good for your couple of hundred miles as well.

Unfortunately, I often ride farther than that

but I'd wouldn't hesitate to take it longer.
Report back after you have done that longer trip :wink

#19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did another couple of hours this weekend and absolutely know I need to get the seat more comfortable.

I am always concerned about adding things to the top of my seat since it removed contact with the bike itself. I try to stay on the seat if I can :smile

Burgman Brothers - When I spoke to Cary he wasn't sure if he seat would be the right seat for me. I appreciate his insight on it. I did pull off the seat backrest and that helped a little bit.

Corban Seats - Look nice, but are the worth the cost? I know their theory is to sell a hard seat and after a while it will be a custom fit. You also loose some storage space which I am not excited about.

Russel Day Long - Seat looks nice, but I have no additional information on them. Plus they are expensive.

Decisions - Decisions

#22 ·
Before you spend big money on a seat...spend a little money
To get that landed here in Australia cost $170, $10 less than my full seat reshape (inc surgery to base) and recover

on an Alaska Sheepskin
Surely any sheepskin will work, is there any reason why Alaskan?

I did look at these or I could get an Australian or maybe NZ sheepskin pad here for $50.

or, another option was seeing as it is just a bit of sheepskin loosely cut to the seat shape and then a single strap sewn to it, I could buy a used and cleaned pram sheepskin rug for $20 and have enough for front an pillion.
Only found in natural colour unfortunately
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/orme...lian-sheepskin-pram-car-seat-liner/1111046125

Beads or sheep?
Sheep or beads?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.