Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

An honest question in search of an honest answer.

5K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Porky 
#1 ·
I have my 2012 650 Executive for sale in the classifieds and I haven't got a single response!:crying

I know that now isn't a good time to sell as lots of us aren't riding but I am concerned that maybe my price isn't realistic. I am at a loss.

I haven't advertised publicly yet.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sam:smile

#2 ·
I have my 2012 650 Executive for sale in the classifieds and I haven't got a single response!:crying

I know that now isn't a good time to sell as lots of us aren't riding but I am concerned that maybe my price isn't realistic. I am at a loss.I haven't advertised publicly yet. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sam:smile
Helloo, average retail value is around 6250, according to the NADA guidelines....found this for reference..... http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2012/Suzuki/AN650AL2-BURGMAN-650cc/Values

#3 ·
My honest opinion would be a price of $5500 to $5900. Even at those prices, like you said, bad time of year, etc.

#4 ·
I believe you are experiencing the fiction of the robust economy 0bama peddling of in his SOTU address. If you look at retail sales numbers for the 4th quarter of 2015, and the way this year is shaping up people are not spending money on what necessities let alone toys.This has made things like bikes (new or used) hard to sell.

Even here in Florida where you can ride most of the year selling prices are way down and those that are overpriced just languish on Craigslist for months--here is a 2014 650 ABS with 1832 miles that has now been advertised for a month at $7500; it was listed at $7999 for 2 months before that...

Short story: The reason anything doesn't sell is because the audience being exposed to it's offering feels it is overpriced. Lower the price or expose it to a broader/different audience. Sometimes you have to do both...

#6 ·
If you look at CycleTrader, you can see the listing prices for any leftover NEW Burgmans. You can actually see the newer 2013 model for under $7k. It's never easy to hear your item is not worth what you think it is, but thats the jist of it. I would probably think $6,000 might be a good starting point. I would also not limit the sale to the BUSA forum. I would get it on Craigslist immediately. I also suggest you begin watching the ebay auctions for 2011 & 2012 650's as you will see the actually selling prices. I will also say that gas prices at $1.59 are not helping scooter sales.

#7 ·
Always post in your surrounding craigslist. Not just your area. I had a long drive to score the beautiful beast I ride.

#8 ·
Last year around here (Pac NW) I kicked myself for missing one of those in that kinda neat gray blue for 6k.
Except for the Exec vs. non Exec it's not functionally different from my 07 that was half the price and similar miles.
That's kinda what you're up against. Add one more year and note that it's the last of the old style ones vs. the newer ones and 6k would seem a good point to start to me.
Far as advertising goes. CL is your friend, but "Caveat Venditor" My rule is no test rides without cash in hand and a verified Motorcycle endorsement for whoever's riding it. I usually note the license number as well to avoid complications, not always on paper, but enough to track 'em down if there's mysterious new damage or the bike doesn't come back.

#10 ·
Thanks my Friends and I appreciate the ideas!

Right now, where in this area it's 18 degrees with a 12 degree wind chill factor, going down to 5 degrees tonight, my chances of selling are very slim!

I will put the scoot on Craigslist and see what happens.

Sam:)

#20 ·
If I was in the market for a 650 I would really be looking for a 2013 and up model. I would really have to get a smokin' deal to get me to buy the old body style.
Though this is true of many buyers, it is not true for me. I will be on the lookout in the spring this year for a 650. But a 2013 on up will not even be close for my budget. I will be in the under 3000 market. Us broke folks ride Burgmans too, but we need the "great deal" :)

So to the OP, you are somewhere in between two buyers like cbolling and myself. But when you hit the right price , it will sell. There is a buyer for all price points.

#21 ·
#22 ·
LOWERED PRICE today, 1-19-2016 for quick sale!

$6,000

Sam:)

#23 ·
Triumph price lowered also: $8,999:eek

Sam:angel

Reactions: Tromper
#25 ·
I wish you well.....with a 2011 (10K miles), and a 2012 (5K miles) myself (which it would be more than my life's worth to think about selling, especially the wife's 2012), I'm interested to see what the market dictates to you.

I will say that when I was trying to value mine recently, going by regional sales in Florida, I reckoned in the region of $4.5K-$5.5K, each for them would be fair, for a rapid sale.

#26 ·
You should try listing it in Canada. Riders often list their 2-3 year old bikes higher than new MSRP. "Has lots of mods!"

I would jump on that 2012 Burg for $5660 if it was selling here in TO. Most would try about $7500-$8000 to start. New is about $10k + fees :frown

#29 ·
Oh well, at least they are 'paid for' and really don't cost me anything other than Insurance:laugh

In 2010, I had 4 new bikes in the garage:eek

Sam:grin

#30 ·
I just hope you dont throw it at a super low price to someone! I learned fast sometimes holding off is better and gains you an extra $100+ here and there.

#32 ·
I'm down here in Ft. Worth, Texas and Burgman's don't really sell that well, I sold my 07 and now looking for a 2013/2014 to replace it. Problem is that sellers of these newer bikes what a higher price then the KBB value is, mainly because they paid a lot for their scooter new and not knowing of the resale of these vehicles. The market price here is somewhere between the KBB wholesale price and the dealer retail price is where you should be buying at and even at that price you can have a problem selling if you change your mind and want to sell it quick after purchasing. I don't buy any bike new anymore, used and I've become a hard buyer to deal with, even if I'm a nice guy, haha. If I see a bike I might want, I first check KBB and see what the value is, if it's a Craigslist listing I will e-mail them with a nice reply stating the KBB value of their bike showing them the wholesale and retail price. I usually state in the e-mail that if we could meet somewhere in the middle of the two values I might be a buyer, I also tell them to not be offended by offer it's just where the valve is on their bike. I also tell them to keep my e-mail as they might re-consider at a later time, also visit the bike and meet them, you might have just bought the bike at your price. PS bring Cash and make sure you get a correct title, trainman

#33 ·
I don't buy any bike new anymore, used and I've become a hard buyer to deal with, even if I'm a nice guy, haha.

You've become a hard to deal with buyer because you realize this is a hard to deal with market . You can not pay high retail when you will eventually have to sell at below wholesale . The market is what the market is .

Presently there are a glut of used bikes left from the last decade's buying spree . Many of the baby boomers who were more than 50% of the market are hanging their cleats up . Many of our children who do want a bike either can't afford one or can't get financing . And the younger generation want a sports bike or an adventure bike , not a scooter .

last year the selling season boiled down to one month JUNE ! Pristine low mileage Burgman 650's 2005 to 2008 priced below $3,500 sold on average in 3 days . Top dollar for a newer model like the OP has was $5,000 , and it had better be nice . Ask any one who has tried to sell a bike , it is common not to get even one response on their ad . LOW BALL is the new retail .

TheReaper!

#35 ·
High gas prices helped to sell a lot of scooters in the past several years. Its $1.29 a gallon today locally. Suddenly the Burgmans incredible MPG advantage no longer exists. Thats not helping values. Using her grocery store fuel perks card, my wife just put 20 gallons of 87 octane in her SUV for $0.89 a gallon. Yep. Top Tier gasoline at that.

I've been to Carthage, MO and its nice, but its not exactly a scooter market. It is, however, a few hours from many. OP is 2 hours from Kansas City & Tulsa, 3 hours from Wichita & Oklahoma City, 4 hours from Little Rock & St Louis, and 5 hours from Memphis. Millions of prospective new owners, half an afternoon away. List the scooter on those cities Craigslist's with "free delivery with a non-refundable $500 deposit" as a condition. A serious buyer won't have a problem with that. A tire-kicking time-waster will.

I'm not in the market myself. Like many I work until 5-6PM, leave the office when its already dark - I'm frankly not interested in driving a few hours to you, loading it up, tow it home, unload it, return my trailer and whatever else. Having it delivered to me would be fantastic. The 4X9 Uhaul trailer with a ramp is $25.99 a day and has a wheel chalk built into the nose. It tows behind anything, even a Mercedes SUV. OP (and his significant other perhaps) can make a day trip or overnighter out of it, have a good meal or two, etc. Free delivery sounds gimicky, but you might be surprised. My 2 cents & good luck.

#37 ·
True and another alternative might be free shipping which would actually cost you less in real cost but would require a deal to be made and paid for first, or a lot of trust. That would also be required in a long delivery, especially if the buyer hesitated.

I have driven a ways with a trailer to pick up a bike and paid when I got there and also delivered a couple. One delivery went off as planned and the other turned into a nightmare when the seller started chiseling down more when I got there. I have also had people fly and/or drive a long distance to pick up one from me with no problems.

For those who think their Burgman is worth so much I encourage you to look at the retail AND wholesale cost and realize that any knowledgeable buyer (with money) is going to pay a lot closer to the latter than the former.

#36 ·
There also the price of used motorcycles. Two years ago I sold a 1500 Gold Wing, a 1800 Gold Wing and a VF750C Magna at an auction and purchased two VTX1300s with the money. That was $1200 per VTX that needed cosmetic repairs. This spring I will sell them in an area where they aren't popular for maybe $2500 each.

#38 ·
I've never understood why people advertise "will not ship, pick up only". I mean I know why they do it.... because it's easy. But shipping something is not really a big deal, even a scooter, car etc. If the buyer is willing to pay for the shipping costs, it's not much sweat off of a sellers back.

But then again, I have a shipping background so it does come easier to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.