Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Possible triking

4K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  JackChris 
#1 ·
It will be a while before I should really need to do it but, it's time to ask before starting the commitment. Are there any GOOD triking kits for the Burgman? Would I need the 650 or could the 400 be fitted as well? I won't be looking for real fancy but those helper wheel type is out. Also is a raking kit for the fork necessary like with the big motorcycles?
Thanks for any help offered.

#2 ·
I don't think anyone makes a true trike kit for the 400 just the outrigger wheel type . There are a couple for the 650. Look down in the Gears and Accessories section for the Yelvington Trike forum for one of them.

#3 ·
Like Buffalo I have not seen anything but "quike" training wheel conversions for the 400. Changing the rake would be a factor of how the kit alters the scoot's geometry.

Personally I would buy a Miata rather than ride a trike. Same basic footprint, a top for when it rains and AC for when it's HOT--but to each his own.

#5 ·
Personally I would buy a Miata rather than ride a trike. Same basic footprint, a top for when it rains and AC for when it's HOT--but to each his own.
Lol, I gotta agree. I love those old 60s British sports cars, Triumphs, MGs and such. The Miata drives like they do, if not better AND is reliable. :D

#6 ·
If I were thinking of a Burgman 650 trike , I think I would look around for some that were for sale and test drive all of them first . If you like it I would guess it would be cheaper to buy one that was already done ?

TheReaper!

#7 · (Edited)
Hi R. John,
I second TheReaper's post so much, I'll repost it.

A rider in our group just bought a used 2009 Burgman 650 trike with 7000 miles from the orig. owner. for $5500. The trike was for sale in Utah, so he had to rent a motorcycle trailer from you-haul. Cost him $16
Brand new, that trike setup cost the seller around $14,000. Not a good return on investment.
The orignal owner ended up buying a used Goldwing trike which is what he wanted to begin with. Remember you're adding 200-300 pounds in trike hardware, depending upon the manufacturer and style (add on outriggers to true conversions) that alone is equal to a good size person. Burgman 650 trike being ridden two up tends to be somewhat "doggy" With only a 638cc engine and a very complex transmission having to haul around a lot of extra weight. If you don't care about performance that's one thing. I would be thinking about how long the expensive to repair CVT will last. Drive belt replacement at a shop $3500.00 :crying

If a Miata isn't your cup of tea, look at used CAN AM SPYDER. IF my wife were interested in riding at all, that would be my next "bike, reverse trike, wheeled snowmobile" whatever you want to call it.

#8 ·
#16 ·
A modern trike is not tippy and if ridden as it is supposed to be is less prone to a fall over than a two wheel machine. They also have much more in common with a motorcycle than a convertible auto. I have ridden trikes and a Can Am and did not like the Can Am but many people do.

#17 ·
I have ridden one old Harley and two new Gold Wings and there is a great deal of difference. I think on the Burgman I would prefer the one built to put two wheels up front and leave the drive train alone. There is one made in Minnesota that is primarily made for Wings and Harleys but he does state they are adaptable to other brands.

This isn't something that is planed for anytime soon but my leg is giving out with my age so it may become necessary. Of course I could just get an Ice Bear 300cc trike. Much cheaper.

#18 ·
#25 ·
All true Dave, but then you lose some of the stability at stops, my wife had an MP3 for a bit. Interesting concept once you get used to it.
If you want something that leans like that http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/ does 'em for bigger bikes. I yakked with them when the MC show blew through Seattle a year or two back.
Seemed like decent folks, if ya wanted a version for the burger you could probably drop a dime on them and they might be able to work something out. The front suspension isn't really that outlandish on 'em.

#27 ·
RJohn. Have you thought about going sidecar? Some of the new ones aren't much different in weight than a full trike kit and offer easy detach. Some even allow limited lean of the bike.

That is a good possibility if need be. I've only driven one about 100 yards in a park so, little experience. It would give some extra cargo space and if my leg is doing alright it could be detached, if it's possible.

By the way I relogged on a couple days ago and have ask the mods to leave this name active.

#29 ·
When the IDO-ENDEAVOR first came out the person had joined Reversetrike's Proboard and we had some posts about some small bikes. and the idea was a no-go due to tire/rim sizes and over all added weight.

You can get some car tires in 135/70 15 in USA but they are not many. In other parts of the world there are many different tires as they did not go thru that "BIGGER is BETTER" that we did.

#35 ·
Well, might as well jump in on this one ..... I had a 1984 GL1200 with a Voyager trike kit. I did 5000 miles on it. When my wifey decided she did NOT want to ride with me, I found the wonderful world of Burgmans:)
It was not as bad as some seem to think .... a trike is almost as stigmatized as a scooter by some. For me it was very relaxing in that the trike eliminated some of the hazards of two wheels. And on "big" roads it was fine, almost like a regular motorcycle, once you adapted your riding style. BUT, if you want to ride twisty, curvey backroads, then it will work yer butt off, and not in a good way. Big roads are fun. Sideroads, twistys, snakie little backroads are where I do much of my riding. The trike aint NO good for that. But if your are willing to adapt where and how you ride, a trike can be just as much fun as two wheels. I have NO experience on the reverse trike thing ... I expect these comments might apply to those as well? My 2 cents.

Sirkitrider

#37 · (Edited)
Well, might as well jump in on this one ..... I had a 1984 GL1200 with a Voyager trike kit. I did 5000 miles on it. When my wifey decided she did NOT want to ride with me, I found the wonderful world of Burgmans:)
It was not as bad as some seem to think .... a trike is almost as stigmatized as a scooter by some. For me it was very relaxing in that the trike eliminated some of the hazards of two wheels. And on "big" roads it was fine, almost like a regular motorcycle, once you adapted your riding style. BUT, if you want to ride twisty, curvey backroads, then it will work yer butt off, and not in a good way. Big roads are fun. Sideroads, twistys, snakie little backroads are where I do much of my riding. The trike aint NO good for that. But if your are willing to adapt where and how you ride, a trike can be just as much fun as two wheels. I have NO experience on the reverse trike thing ... I expect these comments might apply to those as well? My 2 cents.

Sirkitrider
Not really ;) , Reverse Trikes drive as easy as a car of the same weight.

A Voyager trike kit is really just dual side cars bolted onto a two wheel motorcycle. You really need to adapt the steering head a few degrees to make a rear trike handle better.

#38 ·
Thanks again for all the replies and thoughts. As I said I don't plan on doing it immediately but rather look into it if I should need it. Also to consider is parking a trike. They are much bigger and I have to rent.
And as sirkitrider-2 to said, I do like the curvy country roads over the super slab.

#39 ·
#40 ·
This tread has me thinking what I'd do if I wanted to continue to ride and my legs wouldn't allow it. I've been looking online as to what is out there. Trike, sidecar, Spyder, cyclecar, etc. At this time I believe I'd lean toward a landing gear setup setup for our scooter. It would give me stability on stopping but still let me ride as I'm used to.

#41 ·
trike

My wife has a Burg 650 with a Trinity trike kit on it. It is very easy to ride and steer. Has all the power to ride all day anywhere. True trikes are not really very easy to tip they ride different than a 2 wheeler. I have a Goldwimg Trike and it handles very well. Also have a 400 with Tow-Pac and it is fun and lighter weight but the true trike is better. I would go with the Motor Trike kit as they have been in business for a long time and have a good reputation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.