Riding into Manhattan on my 400Ö Dare I try it? - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Riding into Manhattan on my 400Ö Dare I try it?

I need some advice from you big city people.

Iíve read all about the adventures of guys crossing the Serengeti on their motorcycles, or traveling to Alaska and stuff like that Ė real heroic stuff - but I have an even bigger challenge in mind Ė Iím considering riding my 400 to Manhattan to visit my daughter.

Seriously, I live in a relatively rural area of Pennsylvania about three and a half hours from NYC, and Iím thinking of riding in to visit her. I have lots of experience here on rural parts of Interstate 80, so traveling at high speeds with lots of traffic doesnít bother me. Doing high speed twisties on a rural two-lane Ė no problem. But the big city?

What Iím concerned about, from the many times Iíve made the trip in my car, is the horrendous condition of the road surfaces - big gaping four-inch gaps between metal construction plates on the George Washington Bridge, potholes that would engulf a VW Beetle on the Henry Hudson Parkway Ė this all with traffic behind you traveling at 60 mph or faster.

Is it possible on a scooter? Am I crazy? Are there really people who ride in this stuff every day?

Iíll keep you informed. The trip is scheduled for next week.

- Tom (Feeling like a real country boob)

"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride my motor....sickle. And I don't want to die, just want to ride my motor... cy... cle."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:24 PM

I used to live in NYC. I would ride to Manhattan park it in a safe garage and take the subway to whatever you want to see. Its not worth the stress to ride in Manhattan. Everyone takes the subway in NYC.

2005 Yamaha Majesty
Galaxy Blue.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Administrator

In my opinion, riding in 'the big city' is the most dangerous type of riding I do. I've nearly been hit several times. That said, I'd still ride the 400 there if it were me. We all know that riding 2 wheels is inherently more dangerous than driving cages. Riding in the city is another risk I'm willing to accept. If you decide to take the 400, just be very careful.

Bill
'03 Burgman 400 in blue
'03 Burgman 400 in silver (rebuilt)
'08 Burgman 400 in red - FOR SALE
'13 Honda PCX 150 in red
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Super Poster

I ride in downtown Seoul, the most dangerous city in the world for death by car. If you can handle the stress, maintain 100% alertness, and have a lot of experience in heavy, fast, crazy traffic, go for it. If you come out on the other end alive, you will be a much improved rider, hate cars more, and likely will have formed a much stronger bond with what ever god you follow. stay out of the inboard lanes unless you need to turn. Don't yield the lane. Hog the center or they will slither in beside you. Pretend you are a car and do nothing that a car cannot do. Oh, an invisible car that is handicapped by lack of seatbelts, airbags, and crumple-zones. Let us know how you enjoyed the ride.

Joe Morgan has deceided that BurgmanUSA is no longer to his liking. He thought it would be best to delete all of his posts and pictures. This action speaks for itself.-Greengoose/Site Owner /Admin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.