Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Agate at work, YES!!!

15K views 111 replies 53 participants last post by  TheReaper 
#1 ·

Does this look like the gear saved the rider? The rider was doing about 65-70 MPH when a car in the fast lane threw up a de-laminated tire into the HOV land and took out the riders front tire that caused a "Death Wobble"

It was after 7 PM Yesterday (Friday) afternoon and the traffic had cleared up some.

They will be keeping me in Guarded condition for 5 days. I have 9 broken ribs, clapseed left lung, groin hurnia, tons of road rash and a broken left shoulder.
:rolleyes:

See less See more
Reactions: Nillinator
#3 ·
Dave, you might want to add a Hit Air protective vest to your gear. The cost seems steep at first, but is miniscule when one considers the broken ribs, collapsed lung, hosptital bills, etc.

Mend quickly, my friend. I'll add you to my prayer list.

Chris

Reactions: BurgyBill
#6 ·
I don't understand the thread title, "Agate at work, YES!!!" - what is that referring to?
I think he ment ATGATT....
All The Gear All The Time.....
remember he is recovering from injuries.

Reactions: Dave_J
#7 ·
All Gear All The Time, I believe he meant AGATT. There are many discussions about it on the forum.

Dave is a good example of being prepared. Glad you are able to see this side of the acciddent.

#8 ·
Wow, sounds like you are going to hurt for awhile. I just bought a super light weight armored mesh jacket for the hot summer. Now after seeing your jacket I am having second thoughts about using it. I am glad too see you dressed for the crash and not the ride. Speedy Recovery.

#10 ·
All the Gear All The Time - or ATGATT is what I'm used to seeing. Sound it out and it sounds like a rock - agate.

I wear a polo shirt and shorts and athletic shoes for most of my 'commuting' - to and from the golf course in nice weather. I don't have to fight the I5 traffic like Dave does.

Get well fast Dave - sad to see that happened to you. You just never know when or where something might happen.

Reactions: Deedah
#11 ·
Sarge, you are in my prayers! heal quickly. Broken ribs are the absolute worst.

Sam

#15 ·
Godspeed with your recovery Dave. Thanks for letting all of us remind accidents can happen anytime, anywhere.

#16 ·
Well, if the gear didn't save your life, it certainly saved your skin. I'm sure you're beat and scratched up pretty bad, but think of the alternative without it. So glad you're okay, considering, and on the mend. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

#20 ·
As I found out when I ran off the mountain in Arkansas, wearing the gear does not insure you will not get injured. It can help lessen the severity of those injuries though. Doc said that as bad as my injuries were I probably would not have survived then with out the gear I was wearing.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I know how bad all those broken ribs hurt and would not wish that on anyone.

Reactions: Dave_J
#23 ·
Sweet Jeebus. Those tire chunks are pretty terrifying pieces of debris. Heal right up, Dave! Can you send the gear back to the manufacturers? Some brands used to encourage it so they could study the crash effects on their designs.

#24 ·
The jacket was an Armored Scorpion and it did its best. It has alot of its stuffng ripped out. My Helmut was a Vega Summit II.

I rang my bell just a bit but that and the slow drio narcotic I am seeing double. The food at Valley Medical in Renton is so good I may stay longer. They put a drain tube in this afternoon so no food all day.....

#25 ·
Dave, hope your recovery goes well. Sorry you had to go through that but, as your shoulders, your best prepared as you could be.

#26 ·
Dave my friend I'm so sorry to hear this, but so glad you are able to tell us about it. I had an idiot run a red light, hit me and leave me laying in the middle of the road as they drove away never to be seen again. I didn't have a groin hernia but, I did have 8 broken ribs, a collapsed right lung, a broken right shoulder blade, broken right collarbone and tons of road rash. So I know the pain you're in and I'll say it again I'm so sorry to hear this.
Sadly you've also lost this riding season but thank God you'll be here for the next one. It is possible you may get a short ride toward the end of the season if you're lucky, and still want to ride. I'd never think less of someone smart enough to give up riding after something like this happens. I know I'm a many miles away from you but if there is anything I can do for you do not hesitate to ask. And as Chris said I'll add you to my prayer list. Mend quickly and keep us informed of how things are going for you.
Oh I almost forgot, don't cough or sneeze for the next few months. On the other hand the Dr is going to want you to cough up as much phlegm as possible either to aid in healing or keep from getting phenomena or something I can't remember why.

#28 ·
Just remember, all of your gear should be covered by insurance. If they get the guy with the defective tire, his/her/its/their insurance should be paying for everything.

If you have to rely on your own insurance - it will depend on whether you have comprehensive/collision, and be subject to your deductible, but all of your gear should be included in the settlement.

#29 ·
Best Wishes for a full recovery Dave! The pictures of your gear really do tell a story for us to learn from.

I never even thought about my gear being covered by insurance, I'll have to check my policy and see if it's listed or can be added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.