This section is incomplete. Want to contribute? PM Colchicine
NOTE: Burgman USA does not condone the use of car tires on motorcycles. Use the following information at your own risk.
- Burgman 650 darkside rear tire options: Bridgestone Potenza RE92 in 165/65/R-14 which fits the original Honda Insight (most popular option), or the Semperit Winter Grip Radial in 15/65-R14.
- Check the 4 digit date of manufacture on the sidewall to be sure it is less than 3 years old. The code is the week and year it was made. For example, 4908 means the 49th week of 2008.
- Price: Expect to pay approximately $75 to $95 for the car tire.
- Where to Purchase: ?
- Use lots of lube and it will take approximately 100-110 lbs of pressure to seat the bead.
- The Potenza has a speed rating of S (up to 112 mph/180 km/h)
- If your local Motorcycle shop will not put the tire on, then check with an independent tire shop who will likely do it very inexpensively.
- Inflate the Potenza to around 40-42 lbs.
- Run your rear shocks at 3 or higher for solo, 4-5 for 2-up.
Results & observations
- Better Ride for touring, a definate plus on the 650.
- Darksiding will change your speedo error from +10% to around +3% - giving you a much more accurate speed reading. (70 indicated is close to 68-69 actual)
- Instead of the usual 5 to 9 thousand miles on the OEM rear tire, the Potenza will give you upwards of 20 to 40 thousand miles before it needs to be changed. The car tire also tends to be less expensive than the OEM tire.
- Less power due to tire being a larger dia.
- Some reports of high speed osculation issues at 75 mph+ solo and 85 mph+ 2-up, that were not present with a M/C tire.
- Tire rub can occure if the rear shock settings are too low.
- Handeling is different, and will take more time to adjust.
- More Pos. than Neg. if your riding style is non agressive.
- More Neg. than Pos. if your riding style is more agressive.
- As with any modification or change from stock, adjustments / or other changes may be needed.
- Not recommended for the Novice, as there are some differences that will take getting used to from a M/C tire.
Numerous people who have used the Potenza car tire as their rear tire for many years have testified that there is very little difference in handling. There is more contact patch when upright (where you spend most of your time) and about the same or more contact patch when turning (even when scraping the center stand in deep turns).
Link to all forum topics:
Contributors to this page:
Page last modified on Monday 01 of February, 2010 10:05:45 CST by .
Login to edit this page.